If we talking about clindamycin reactions with alcohol, firstly it is good to understand some points which will mention below.
What is Clindamycin?
Clindamycin is an antibiotic that is available in capsule form but can also be utilized in restricted creams or inserted. Its brand name is Dalacin C
What is clindamycin used for?
It is usually used to treat several bacterial infections like;
- Bone or joint infection
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Middle ear infection
- Strep throat
- Tooth abscess
How it works?
It is effective against gram-positive bacteria, including streptococci, pneumococci and staphylococci (including MRSA). It is also efficient upon a group of bacteria known collectively as anaerobic bacteria.
It acts by inhibiting bacteria from making different proteins. Clindamycin is absorbed efficiently by the digestive tract and the ingestion of clindamycin is not affected by food.
This decreases bacterial growth and makes it more comfortable for the immune system to fight off bacterial infections.
What are the things that you need to aware of while taking clindamycin?
When you are taking clindamycin you need to aware following things like;
- You are not allergic to any food, medicines, other substances and clindamycin too.
- Before using tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, an intestinal disorder such as colitis or Crohn’s disease or a history of asthma, eczema, liver problem or severe diarrhea in past
- Birth control pills may not work as properly to prevent pregnancy when you taking clindamycin.
- Do not put in the bathroom
- Keep away of range of kids and pets
What is alcohol?
Alcohol is a liquid composed of fermentation. Further processing begins alcoholic drinks such as beer, wine, cider, and spirits.
Alcohol is a depressant drug. This means that it slows down the activity of the central nervous system and the information going between the brain and the body. Depressant drugs do not significantly make a person feel depressed.
Why we can’t take alcohol with clindamycin?
It is secured to have a glass of wine while taking clindamycin, you should not drink a large amount of alcohol. taking high volumes of alcohol can put additional pressure on your body, making it more difficult for your immune system to fight off the infection.
In addition, clindamycin can harm your liver function. This, merged with extreme alcohol intake, increases your risk of developing liver damage.
Side effects of clindamycin;
- Upset stomach, diarrhea, throwing up
- Belly pain
- For women, vaginal yeast infection. Report itching or discharge to your doctor
Take emergency treatment if you have following side effects;
First, stop taking clindamycin
- Bloody and watery diarrhea
- Joint pain
- Yellow eyes
- Yellow skin
- Severe allergy on lips, throat, rashes
- Difficulty in breathing
- Red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin
- Red irritated eyes
- Sores in mouth, throat, nose, or eyes
Can I take other medicines with clindamycin?
Always check with your doctor and pharmacist before taking any new medication while you are taking clindamycin. if you need any pain killer its fine to take paracetamol or ibuprofen while taking clindamycin.
- May be taken with or without food.
- Take with a full glass of water.
- Take exactly as directed
- Take till the duration
- Complete the course of treatment prescribed.
- Only use when prescribed by a doctor to treat infections caused by receptive bacteria as inappropriate treatment enhances the chance of resistant bacteria developing.
- Clindamycin does not treat infections caused by viruses, such as a cold or the flu.
What are side effects of clindamycin?
Clindamycin Side Effects are skin problems, such as hives, rash, red, shedding, or peeling skin.
Yellow appearance of the skin, nails, or whites of the eyes (jaundice)
Vomiting, severe stomach pain, or diarrhea.
Signs of low blood pressure, ranging from dizziness to fainting.
What is clindamycin used for?
Clindamycin (Clindamycin) is used to treat many forms of bacterial disease involving liver, skin, blood, female reproductive and internal organ infections. Clindamycin is a class of antibiotics known as lincomycin. It works by slowing or halting bacterial growth.
What infections does clindamycin treat?
The antibiotic Clindamycin is used to treat serious infections. Several forms of bacteria, including Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Staphylococcus epidermidis, and Propionibacterium acnes, can be treated with it. It inhibits bacterial growth by interfering with protein production capacity.
Is clindamycin a powerful antibiotic?
For a number of severe infections Clindamycin is an important antibiotic. Clindamycin is sometimes used to treat acne in humans.
Clindamycin is an antibiotic to treat bacterial infections. You can take 1 or 2 glass of wine when taking clindamycin but a large quantity of alcohol is dangerous to health produces additional pressure on the body and also can damage the liver. Stop taking it when you developed side effects like difficulty in breathing, sores in mouth, yellow skin, etc.