Potato for Dark Circles? A Life Saver!
The ultimate guide to treating dark circles with just Potatoes!
Don’t we all just hate dark circles beneath our eyes? They make you look older at times, your face looks dull and pale and in several cases, prominent puffy eyes are visible. I’ve tried every hack and product and nothing has fairly worked so far but a while back I came across a natural home remedy for dark circles; potatoes and at first I was reluctant to even try it out but I eventually did give it a go and guess what? It worked!
What are the Common Causes of Dark Circles?
Some of the most common causes of dark circles under the eye are:
- Poor sleeping habits
- Iron deficiency
- Over exposure of Sun
- Rubbing of the eyes oftenly
- Certain allergies
How to Remove Dark Circles Permanently?
Dark Circles can be treated naturally or medically to get rid of them. However, they wouldn’t permanently go away except in medical treatments; you’d see a significant difference pretty sooner than in natural treatments.
- Tea Bags;
Chill soaked tea bags and apply on your dark circles every once in a while.
- Creams or Serums;
- Ablative laser treatment;
Tightens skin under the eyes, boosts collagen and reduces hyperpigmentation. Get to know more about Ablative laser here.
- Chemical Peels;
Reduces discolouration from sun exposure and hyperpigmentation.
Lightens your skin from under the eyes and makes it brighter. Find out more about it here.
There are many more medical treatments to treat dark circles but either they have too many side effects or are very expensive. Nevertheless, you can try natural remedies like potatoes which don’t really have side effects or won’t cost you an arm and a leg!
Potato for Dark Circles Removal !
Don’t we all eat potatoes whether boiled or baked, with relish and devour? As appetising potatoes can be, they are great for skin too! Here are some reasons how potatoes help in removing dark circles:
- Vitamin C:
Potatoes are rich in Vitamin C, an antioxidant that would work wonders on your skin due to its collagen boosting and brightening properties and it also hydrates and moisturises the skin under your eyes. If the dark circles are caused by sun exposure, the vitamin C in potatoes would prevent further damage and brighten the area. The presence of Vitamin C also helps in reducing the puffiness under your eyes.
A form of Vitamin B3, Niacin is present in potatoes and helps to lighten your hyperpigmentation and resolves inflammation causing dark circles. Vitamin B3 is also great for anti ageing and reduces wrinkles from under your eyes. Potatoes are a brilliant way to eradicate discolouration.
- Vitamin K:
When the blood circulation around your eyes isn’t sufficient, it causes purplish dark circles beneath your eyes. Potatoes have Vitamin K which is known for treating blood coagulation. The application of potatoes helps increase blood circulation and the clotting goes away with time, leaving fresh, brighten and toned under eyes.
- ProVitamin A:
Dark circles caused by anti ageing can be gone for good with potatoes as they have provitamin A in them. However the levels of Vitamin A aren’t significant.
2 Ways to Use Potato for Dark Circles Overnight:
Potatoes can be used in several ways but for a night time regime, there are the ways you can use them:
1. Potato Juice
For best results, use potato juice for dark circles overnight. The raw potato juice will nourish the skin around our eyes and this way works better than all the other procedures. Follow the steps below to extract potato juice from potatoes;
- Take a half potato and grate all of it.
- Get a muslin cloth or cheesecloth, a bowl and put all the grated potato in the cloth, tie a knot and start pressing the cloth till you feel all the potato juice has strained out into the bowl.
- Take a cotton ball or pad, dip it in the potato juice and gently apply it on your eye bags\ dark circles.
- Keep it on overnight and wash it off with cold water and pat dry.
- Repeat this for at least twice a week till you see good results.
2. Potato with Coconut or Almond oil
Applying just potato juice can sometimes make your skin dry so if you’re someone who already has dry skin, adding these oils can provide essential antioxidants and hydrate your skin.
- Use potato juice by following the steps above and add some coconut or almond oil in it.
- Just simply dap it on your dark circles and leave it overnight.
- Wash it off in the morning.
- Follow this for two to three times a week.
Other ways to use Potatoes for Dark Circles are:
1. Potato Slices
Potato slices are the most common and convenient way to use for dark circles. All you need to do is;
- Put the potato in the refrigerator for a while.
- Take it out and cut two slices.
- Lay down on your bed and put the slices under your eyes.
- Keep it for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
- Apply a drop of coconut oil in the end to lock some moisture in the area.
- Repeat this for 2 times a week till you see prominent results.
2. Potato and Cucumber Juice
Cucumbers have been used for ages to treat dark circles because of its hydrating and cooling properties. Potato and Cucumber together can help with lightening dark circles. You need to;
- Grate a cucumber and potato and put them in muslin cloth and strain the juice in a bowl.
- Add half teaspoon honey and aloe vera gel, if available, then stir the mixture and dap it with cotton on your dark circles.
- Keep it on for about half an hour then wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat it 1 to 2 times in a week till you see visible results.
5 Important Tips to Follow While Using Potatoes for Dark Circles
It is very important that along with applying potatoes, you need to follow some other things as well to get your desired results:
- Eat foods rich in Vitamin C, B3, B6, K, and E such as Almonds, green vegetables, papaya, beetroot, cucumber and so on.
- Apply sunblock and wear sunglasses to prevent yourself from the damage sun rays do to your skin.
- Sleep for at least 7-9 hours.
- If your screen time is a lot during the day due to work restrictions or leisure, please let your eyes rest for sometime.
- Apply almond oil under your eyes overnight on alternative days. Almond oil has anti inflammatory and anti oxidants and many essential vitamins which can also help you in your journey of reducing dark circles.
How Long Does a Potato Take to Remove Dark Circles?
Uptil now, you might have gotten really excited to use potatoes for your dark circles but let me break it to you, it will definitely take time before you see prominent results. We tend to apply things enthusiastically for a consecutive week or so and when we don’t see quick results, we stop using it, thinking that it doesn’t really work. Natural remedies take time. It can take upto 2 months or even 6 months, depending on the cause behind your dark circles. Along with this you would have to inculcate the other necessary important tips, that have been mentioned above, to get your eyes A-game back with lighter dark circles and a fresh look!
It is quite natural for you to have dark circles at some point of your life. They may get worse or might surprisingly reduce if you take good care of your health. Remember the saying that “Consistency is the key to success!” You really need to be steadfast with what you do because no matter what, natural treatments require time, care and dedication and if you do that, potatoes can really be your next holy grail for dark circles.