Introduction to the professional organization:
Professional organizations also termed professional bodies or professional associations as a group or type of networks that are made to serve any specific field in terms of providing education facility—career opportunities & so on. Professional organizations are set up to help any field & to facilitate it by acting as a bridge between field members & future opportunities; Any organization aims to work for the betterment & responsible for multiple functions.
Focusing more on the organization for pharmacy technicians, We can say that organizations that facilitate the pharmacy technicians from every professional aspect will term as an official organization for technicians of pharmacy. Well, same officials organizations are working for the prosperity of pharmacists also whereas some organizations are strictly specified for pharmacists only & don’t deal with the pharmacy technicians. This article aims to explain the following points in a satisfactory & straightforward manner.
- Why is it necessary to join a professional organization?
- What is the objective of the professional organization for the welfare of pharmacy technicians?
- What are the most active professional organizations for pharmacy technicians?
Benefits of membership in professional organizations:
The professional organization offers a lot of professional benefits to its members in several ways. When an individual is connected with different people of the same field under the shelter of an organization, then he begins his professional learning by experiencing a variety of behavior, workload & environment. Being a part of a professional organization, you get a chance to explore our hidden talents & improve communication skills. As a pharmacy technician, you must need to learn the management basics rule & principles. The benefits of membership in professional organizations are mentioned as follows.
- Professional development & growth.
- Jop opportunities.
- Networking & communication.
- Access to different resources.
- Enhance confidence.
- Personality grooming.
- Resume building.
- Peer support.
Types of professional organization:
Professional organizations are of the following four different models. They are classified according to their essential function for any professional field. Acknowledgment of the kind of professional organization will help an individual to choose the right option for him.
- Member benefits professional organizations: Every professional organization aims to provide professional benefits to its members, but this type of organization mainly focuses on the individual growth of each & every member of the organization by facilitating them through various means like giving them access to several resources.
- Designation granting associations: This type of professional organization provides certificates to its member as a reward to their dedication of work & passion. Most of the time, certification is issued to the members after the accomplishment of professional learning hours.
- Certifying bodies: These are the organizations that issue credentials to their members after they meet the specific requirements set by that particular organization. The main difference between designation granting association & certifying bodies is that certifying bodies are mainly concerned with issuance & tracking of certificates.
- Professional regulatory bodies: Regulatory bodies are responsible for regulating the process in any professional field by acting as a bridge between industry & ministry of any state or county. It deals with the legal requirements & legal issues by following the globally adopted guidelines. It is beneficial for pharmacy technicians in a way that keeps them updated with the current scenarios & requirements of drug regulatory authorities.
Organization for pharmacy technicians:
As the scope of pharmacy increase, the working & activity of the professional organizations also increases to meet the requirements of the current situation. In this regard, there are many national & international organizations are working throughout the world. Most prominent professional associations are listed below.
- American association of pharmacy technicians.
- Academy of managed care pharmacy.
- American college of clinical pharmacy.
- American college of a veterinary pharmacist.
- American pharmacists association.
- American society of consultant pharmacists.
- Society of infectious disease pharmacists.
- Pharmacy educator’s technician council.
- National pharmacy technician’s association.
- National community pharmacists association.
- International pharmaceutical Federation.
- American society of health-system pharmacists.
The most popular professional organizations for pharmacy technicians are described briefly as follows.
1. The American Society of Health-system Pharmacists ( ASHP):
The American society of health-system pharmacists (ASHP) organizations consists of more than 40,000 members, including pharmacists, pharmacy technicians & pharmacy students. The pharmacists that are being part of that organization usually serve their profession as clinical pharmacists by giving ambulatory care services & patient care provider. This organization is in process for more than 70 years & plays a very active role in improving health care services by coordinating with pharmacists & pharmacy technicians.
2. National association of board of pharmacy (NABP) :
National association of board of pharmacy (NABP) is an international & independent association that provides assistance to pharmacy technicians to provide public health care services. It is connected with the board of pharmacy to assure patients that pharmacy & pharmacists are providing the best services from patient safety & health. NABP fully understands the complications of pharmacy practice in the modern world & tries to facilitate & update the pharmacist with recent knowledge with pomp & shore.
3. National pharmacy technician Association (NPTA):
National pharmacy technician Association (NPTA) is one of the world’s largest organizations that is specified for pharmacy technicians. It is a fully established organization that mainly focuses on increasing or raise the value of pharmacy technicians. It enables pharmacy technicians to practice pharmacy by providing various pharmacy practice setups such as hospital pharmacy, military care, retail pharmacy, management, sales & so on. It gives unconditional support & resources to pharmacy technicians to become capable of serving their field in a better way.
4. National pharmacy technician certification board:
National pharmacy technician certification board is come into being in 1995 to certify the pharmacy technicians & distinguish them by giving legal registrations. This organization is performing several other tasks, too, which involves supporting pharmacists & pharmacy technicians by keeping them update with the drug knowledge & train them to provide effective patient care. Certificates are of different categories & awarded by taking an exam or assessment.
5. Pharmacy technicians educators council:
PTEC involves in the certification of pharmacy technicians & motivate state all state board of pharmacy demand the certification of pharmacy technicians after an exam as a prime requirement for pharmacy practice by pharmacy technicians. PTEs maintain & follow a strict protocol regarding teacher-student ration to sustain the burden-free attention & concentration of teachers equally on every individual student. This teacher-student ration is 1:24 in classroom setups. PTEC also motivate students & pharmacy technicians educators to become a member & show active response & involvement to support pharmacy professional organizations for positive growth & professional development.
6. Academy of managed care pharmacy (AMCP):
Academy of managed care pharmacy (AMCP) organization works for the training of pharmacists & pharmacy technicians to play their active role in managed care pharmacy. A few years back, led care pharmacy is a new concept that needs to be implemented in pharmaceutical industries for staff overall safety & health. Managed care pharmacists play a very vital role in the health care system & assisted by pharmacy technicians. AMCP supports the pharmacists showing interset towards managed care pharmacy by providing training & by allowing them to work in different setups. Another well-appreciated step taken by AMCP is a publication of a journal, namely “Journal of managed care & specialty pharmacy.”
7. Canadian association of pharmacy technicians (CAPT):
CAPT is a member-run organization. The board of directors comprises a team of eight members. All these eight members are registered pharmacy technicians & dedicated their time to support, educate & advocate pharmacy technicians. This conference held a conference to provide new learning opportunities to pharmacy technicians. This association also works to acknowledge the other healthcare professional & general public about the scope of pharmacy practice by pharmacy technicians. Moreover, this association raises its voice to support & empowers pharmacy technicians in connection with the Canadian health care system & enhances professional attitude by promoting education & collaboration. This association also integrates its members with utmost integrity & respect as per requirements of professionalism.
8. Northland association of pharmacy technicians (NAPT):
NAPT is a professional organization that represents all pharmacy technicians as well as technicians in training. It also serves as an academy for the forth Dakota pharmacists association (NDPhA). In North Dakota, all registered pharmacy technicians are members of NAPT. The prime objective of this association is to provide exposure & interaction of pharmacy technicians with other healthcare professionals in all departments of pharmacy professions in a positive manner. It aims to promote the progress of pharmacy technicians as a significant part of the health care system by making capable enough of meeting the legal requirements of their service. NAPT offers an open membership program for the students interested in it by the name of category “associate membership” for pharmacy technician students or anyone else. Moreover, Membership of NAPT is now open for:
- South Dakota.
This article provides a detailed overview of the services of the most prominent professional organization that offer career support to the pharmacy technicians. Moreover, the procedure to apply for membership programs are also provided on the official website of this organization. For further queries & instruction, you can visit these websites that will further clear your vision about professional bodies.
A student of Pharm D from University of Karachi. She has keen interest in all the attributes towards pharmacy especially community pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with an objective to make medications sound and safe. She loves to provide information about Pharmaceutical Analysis and Pharmacology in a best way so people with no medical background can understand.