Anorexia Nervosa-Most Common Eating Disorder in Females
Are you familiar with Anorexia Nervosa?
Anorexia nervosa ranked among the top 6 heating disorders in the world. It is reported as the most common chronic disorder in young women and affects 1 in 200 girls. Now seems interesting?
Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder that is closely linked with thy psychological pressure of being obsessed and being too concerned about the figure and shape of the body. They have a fear of getting too much weight and despite feeling hunger, they refuse to take food. Such people follow a strict diet and perform an excessive exercise.
3 essential features of Anorexia Nervosa
Anorexia Nervosa is a combination of eating and psychological disorder characterized by three main essential features mentioned as follows.
- Behavioral changes i.e self-induced starvation
- Having an intense fear of becoming too fat
- Misunderstand the complications of being underweight
Subtypes of Anorexia Nervosa
When anorexia nervosa takes place due to restrictions on the type and quantity of food. It may involve Skipping meals, calculating calories. Or restrict certain types of food like carbohydrates. People Having such type of anorexia Nervosa follows strict diet rules such as eating only a specific diet.
Purging type/Binge eating
This type is characterized by excessive eating first to satisfy the cravings and then compensate it by purging the food through vomiting or misusing diuretics, laxatives, or enemas. This type of anorexia is also characterized by food restriction but it includes binge eating and then purging
According to many researchers, the exact cause of anorexia nervosa is unknown but many factors and reasons contribute to the occurrence of anorexia nervosa. These contributing factors can be summarized as follows:
- Genetic and biological factors: People having a family story of anorexia Nervosa are more susceptible to its development. Moreover, patients with Diabetes Mellitus type 1 also show a tendency to get this eating disorder.
- Psychological factors: Such as low self-esteem. High level of perfectionism, poor reaction to stress, depression, anxiety, and obsessive-compulsive personality trait.
- Environmental Factors: Stressful life events, uncomfortable working environment, relationship problems, the onset of puberty may be accountable for eating disorders.
- Social factors: Print media such as magazines and social media glorify smartness and being thin as key to success. It may be right for working as a model but not applicable in every field.
- Impaired brain chemistry: Intense dieting disturbs the normal levels of the hormone in the blood and it causes impairment in the proper functioning of the brain.
- Work stress: Occupations that demand a thin physique tend to give rise to anorexia nervosa such as the fashion industry, sports, or television.
Intense Weight loss and dramatic fluctuations in weight are the most common noticeable to detect anorexia nervosa. Anorexia nervosa exhibits huge diversity in its signs and symptoms so we categorize its symptoms under the following categories:
- loss of menstruation in women, reduced libido (sex drive) in men
- fainting or vertigo
- constantly getting cold
- bloating, constipation, or growing food intolerances
- poor sleep
- drowsiness and fatigue
- looking pale
- dry, faded skin
- sunken eyes
- delicate hair on the face and body
A student of Pharm D from University of Karachi. She has keen interest in all the attributes towards pharmacy especially community pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with an objective to make medications sound and safe. She loves to provide information about Pharmaceutical Analysis and Pharmacology in a best way so people with no medical background can understand.