Let’s have a view about blood pressure:
The force with which the blood flows from the heart in blood vessels towards all targeted organ of the body is called blood pressure
The normal blood pressure is taken as 120/80mm hg but according to 2017 guidelines provided by American heart association, it is stated that
- Pressure > 120 but < 130 mm Hg is considered elevated.
- Pressure >130/80 mm Hg but < 140/89 is taken as stage 1 hypertension.
- pressure = 140/90 or > 140/90 is taken as stage 2 hypertension,
Elevated or increased blood pressure is the key factor that leads to cardiac and life-threatening health issues.
If blood pressure is being left untreated .. it starts to damage blood vessels, heart, and kidneys. As it indicates some serious blockage in arteries.
If this blockage is in coronary artery it can lead towards
- Angina pectoris
- Myocardial infarction
If this blockage is in arteries supplying blood to the brain then it will also cause
High blood pressure…. a sign of danger:
The human body works in a very systemic way. Nature has given us many local and hormonal regulators.
There are regulators in our body to control the blood pressure automatically, like baroreceptors located in the walls of the carotid sinus and the aortic sinus. We can say that blood pressure if increased by some mild cause for example eating, baroreceptors autoregulate excitement, defecation and so forth
If an individual face the condition of elevated blood pressure rarely or not at permanent bases, so there is no any worry about it but here is another side of the coin, if an individual is facing high blood pressure at regular bases so he or she must show serious concern about it because now it is indicating towards a health issue.
In most cases, it is observed that people don’t take ” blood pressure” as s serious concern. It is the 1st symptom that tells that there is some wrong with the flow of blood.
People who are currently suffering from cardiac decease or face the angina pain or strokes have first experienced the problem of having high blood pressure . it is the true representative of some underlying reason or any disorder that may be mild or may be any serious health issue.
Causative agent to raise the blood pressure. Increased resistance in the blood vessels is the actual cause of an increase in blood pressure. The strength of a blood vessel towards blood flow generates the pressure that results to increase overall pressure of blood in the systemic circulation.
Factors that increase resistance in blood flow:
Larger the hindrance to the blood flow or resistance. Greater will be the pressure of blood. Blood vessels like arteries, veins, and capillaries are elastic to facilitate the flow of blood, but due to some reasons that can lose their elastic behavior and stat creating resistance. this may be due to
- Increased peripheral resistance.
- Atherosclerosis i.e deposition of fat inside the vessels.
- Blood becomes too viscous.
- Narrowing of the inner lumen of the vessel.
Can I lower my blood pressure without medications?
Yes, it is completely alright to manage your blood pressure without going with medications. however, there are some limitations stated below
- If the blood pressure rise to 180 mmHg and greater than 180/90 mmHg, then you cannot avoid medications. You are given sublingual or injectables hypertensive agents to lower blood pressure on at urgent bases.
- If previously go through with the angioplasty or bypass, then a cardiac specialist will prescribe you medicines to keep your blood pressure lower than the normal range.
- If you are at risk of artery blockage, then you cannot avoid medications.
The upper mentioned conditioned need very serious concerns and cannot only be managed without taking the prescribed medicines.
Walking… a physical activity to lower blood pressure:
Walking, especially brisk walking, is the most recommended and nonpharmacological management by physicians and specialists for at least 25 to 40 minutes to keep blood pressure in a normal range. The reason is that walking increases your physical activity that, in turn, speeds up your metabolism and energy demand of the body. When The organs demand more energy and oxygen, so the blood vessels towards that particular organ dilates to provide an extra supply of oxygen and nutrients along with blood. In general, this vasodilation results in a decrease in blood pressure. that’s how walking helps to maintain the normal physiology of blood flow in the body
Summarized view of blood flow, its resistance, blood pressure, and management:
- The primary function of blood flow and circulation is to serve the needs of tissue by transporting nutrients and another nutrient to them as well as carry away the waste products.
- A decrease in the radius of the blood vessel increases its resistance,
- Autoregulation helps to control the blood pressure if it raises due to normal activities of life.
- Local tissues tend to autoregulate blood flow according to their requirements.
- Exercise can decrease blood pressure by increasing blood flow and vasodilation.
- Walking can only help to lower blood vessels when a patient is not at risk of angina, stroke, or any severe cardiovascular issue.
A student of Pharm D from University of Karachi. She has keen interest in all the attributes towards pharmacy especially community pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with an objective to make medications sound and safe. She loves to provide information about Pharmaceutical Analysis and Pharmacology in a best way so people with no medical background can understand.