If you are deciding your career pathway to become a radiologist, it’s a good decision and you should know what will be required to become a radiologist. Radiologists are also named as radiologic technologists.
Radiologist is a physician who’s specialization is used medical imaging technique to diagnose and treat diseases or any injuries and these imaging procedures are X-ray, ultrasound, computed tomography CT, and magnetic resonance imaging MRI.
Generally radiologists work beyond the scene by analyzing the studies, while in some cases they get involved in procedures to help the patients or contour instructions to the technicians.
Types of radiologist:
Radiologist always work with medical imaging to diagnose and treat the patients but there are several types of radiology, these are
1. Diagnostic radiologist: Diagnostic radiologist is physician, use medical imaging to diagnose the patients diseases or condition and they used multifariousness of imaging procedures, these are
- Electromagnetic radiation (EMR)
2. Interventional radiologist: Interventional radiologists also used medical imaging which provides therapy to patients (with noncancerous conditions), they use medical imaging to hold up surgical procedures to make safer. It helps lead to faster recovery of patients in a short time period. Interventional radiologists work one keyhole surgery( technique involved in making small cuts by using tiny cameras to visualize internal body parts).
3. Radiation oncology: radiation oncologist is a physician who used radiation therapy to treat cancer patients and this therapy used high energy radiation to remove the cancerous cells. It helps to lower cancerous symptoms, to cure the condition by stopping cancerous growth.
4. Medical physics: Medical physicists are physicians who understand the physics to support the application of medicine. Physicists advise and convey the technical facet of using medical imaging to make sure a patient’s safety. Medical physicists help to develop many technical devices that doctors commonly use nowadays.
Are radiologist doctors?
Radiologists are medical doctors. They are doing some of the same duties which do the doctors. It may include diagnosis, monitoring, treatment of patients. Sone if radiologists don’t work or contact directly from the patients.
What does a radiologist do?
- Most people think radiologists just read the X-ray or other imaginary tests and then send back the patients to other doctors for further treatment if patients. But they do much more than that
- Radiologists have the expertise and they are well trained to use medical imaging techniques because they have a great memory for interpreting the results.
- Radiologist visualize the patients an immediate need for any additional test to diagnose and treatment of diseases or any condition, the result of these imaging test stipulates that patient fain benefits from different types of imaginary techniques
- They are also responsible to answer the patient’s questions in a satisfying manner and explain the procedure, they also guide about the Pros and cons of any test in a very clear cut manner.
- Radiologists train and medical staff or students and they also supervise the technicians as well to interpret the results.
- In certain conditions, radiologists directly consult with patients during serious procedures and radiation therapy or to prescribe medications, they also perform Interventional procedures (angioplasty, biopsy, etc).
- Radiologists are experienced in their field and they are available for referrals, consultation, diagnosing, and procedures.
How to become a radiologist?
If you are thinking of becoming a radiologist, you may start taking classes in high secondary school to prepare. To become a radiologist. This required,
- 4-years of undergraduate Bachelor’s degree
- 4-years of medical school degree
- 4-years of residency training
- 1-year of fellowship training (Optional)
1. Earns bachelor’s degree
- Candidates firstly need to earn bachelors degree and they need to take the courses that will HR prerequisites (additional benefits) for medical school in science subjects (physics, chemistry, biology, and organic chemistry)
- Undergraduate students are also required to obtain any part-time volunteering world hN any medical field to gain experience.
- Candidates who want to take admission in medical colleges, they must take medical colleges admission test MCAT in their undergraduate school.
- Students who want to apply to school, having a great LOR (letter of recommendation) that they optimistically returned to work in the medical field, while attending the college.
- With this LOR certificate students must need to have a high GPA or MCAT scores.
- The important decision students must take during the undergraduate year is what type of medical school they chosen. There are two different types,
i. Allopathic medical school: This school trains or instructs the doctors to use medications, surgery to treat medical diseases.
ii. Osteopathic medical school: This School teaches physicians to help the patient and prevent diseases through integrated philosophy.
2. Medical school:
- Radiologists should have an MD degree. Medical year of undergraduate taking four years.
- The first two years are taking classes and learning about physiology, anatomy, pharmacology, embryology, biochemistry, and human behavior.
- The next two years of the undergraduate program are doing clinical rotations. Students work in all departments of the medical field and do Hands-on practice.
- The national examination that medical students must have to complete MD degree, I’d they decided to go in the field of radiology students must get above score on USMLE.
3. Residency and internship:
- Internship is that they cannot fully practice in medicine.
- Students are the next four years of training and this phase of training is known as internship. This phase of their education is paid. They will work with patients in the emergency room ER as well as hospital, clinics to get better training.
- After completion of the first year of residency the apprentices are capable to start their work in radiology and they receive more training.
- The interns will interpret medical imaging tests, diagnose, and treat.
- Residents should take more examinations to demonstrate their understanding of radiology.
- Some radiologists do not end their training after the fourth year of the residency program and they pursue fellowship programs that allow them to receive training in the field of radiology. This program of fellowship is a bit like residencies with lectures, training, and hands-on practice and thus the program lasts for a year or two.
5. License and certification:
Radiologists are able to review full state licensure practice in the field. Some radiologists will also take the radiology board certification exams because they require their radiologists to be board certified.
The board-certified radiologist needs MD and state licensure. They also need to complete their residency and also the board’s exam (by both written or oral). Once they get initial radiology certification or completed fellowship, they should pass additional exams in the radiology field.
Radiologist offering Radiologist program in Pakistan
If you are thinking of taking admission or enrolled in a Radiology program, the Universities which offer radiologist programs in Pakistan are listed in numbers.
- Khyber Medical University, Peshawar
- Nims college of Medical Imaging Science, Abbottabad
- Dow University Of Health Sciences, Karachi
- Ghazi Institute of Medical Science, Peshawar
- Premier Institute of Health and Management Sciences, Peshawar
- The University of Faisalabad, Faisalabad
- Khyber Medical University, Peshawar
Universities offering Radiologist program in abroad
Radiologist always are highly demanded medical profession in abroad as well, if you are seeking to enroll in the radiology program there are lots of universities which offering this program but top universities for being radiologist are,
- Suffolk University, USA
- University of Adelaide, Australia
- University of Hartford, USA
- Keele University, UK
- Parkland College, USA
- Universiti Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- University of Auckland, New Zealand
- University College Dubin, Ireland
Good Radiologist must be skilled in:
- The good radiologist must be skilled and well-trained in following particular areas,
- They must have a complete understanding of medical and human physiology, anatomy to correlate with their human health problems.
- Radiologists must have strong technical skills to operate imaging machines appropriately and have to work on computers.
- They also required excellent vision and analytical expertise.
- A most important skill, they have a strong background in biology, physiology with all clearing concepts.
Job and Career opportunities:
Radiologists are demanding professions in the medical field. The job profile and career opportunities in this field are very large-scale. The demand for radiologists is increasing day-by-day, along with advanced development in technologies to identify or solve the problems immediately. Because of this medical science design and new wide scope in this field. Jobs for radiologists are available for part and full time as per the requirement of hospitals. After completion of your degree, the employment prospects of radiologists are vast in Pakistan and abroad as well because this field has its own vast worth in medical sciences.
Due to modernization and advancement in technologies, radiologists get advantages as it is linked to modern and advanced imaging techniques. The best career profile is based on your specialization, knowledge, intelligence, and expertise. There are lots of bright career pathways in the radiology field.
Radiologists work beyond the site and they help to visualize, analyze the study of imaging techniques. In some cases they get involved with [patients directly to consult them. The requirement of becoming a radiologist is receiving a degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic (DO) and they also need a license or certification. Radiologists have good technical skills, stamina, communication skills, expertise to treat patients. Radiologists are an important part of our medical world.
A student of Respiratory Therapist from Dow university of health sciences. She trying to find scientific knowledge and theory to practical problems Related to respiratory care modalities including oxygen and aerosol therapy ,breathing problems and humidity And focusing cardiopulmonary diseases .just to help students to understand in easier way and for acknowledging common people.