In this article, you’ll learn and be able to understand MBBS (bachelor’s in medicine and bachelor’s in surgery) program. This content proves helpful to you. You’ll learn
- What is MBBS?
- Eligibility criteria in Pakistan for MBBS
- Eligibility criteria in abroad for MBBS
- General structure and a course outline of MBBS and list of modules per semester
- Top universities for MBBS in Pakistan and abroad
- Alternative career option after completion of MBBS
If you are not interested and not passionate about medicine or medical line and subjects of science are not interesting for you, so you cannot do this honorable program or job because MBBS is not only a source of stress for you or it’s not about a degree of paper. MBBS is a very honorable and kind passion you have to choose for you and to serve human life. Personally find MBBS to be a really fun or lifetime happiness with lots of responsibilities on your shoulder to save human life and serve humanity because of day-to-day diseases and disorders, and their pathogenesis increases. For dealing with this all things and to give comfort to patients is becoming an integral part of life for those who want to enroll in MBBS. Nothing else will matter to you if once you are capable of treating a patient and bringing his smile on his face, the sigh of relief and biggest peace you take at that moment.
Introduction to MBBS Program
MBBS is that sort of relationship where you will only be happy and comfortable if you are truly in love (in love with medicine).MBBS (Bachelors of medicine and Bachelor of Surgery is the most popular degree of the medical world. The students whose ambition is to become a doctor must focus their aims to achieve their goal and specialization in the MBBS program. MBBS is referring to specialization as a doctor.
Basically in MBBS, there are two specialization degree
- Bachelors of medicine
- Bachelors of surgery
In Pakistan both degrees are considered as combined, while in the US they are treated as separate degrees.
Remember, MBBS is a time-taking course, but once you fall in love with your profession, then nothing is the biggest happiness for you.
Eligibility criteria in Pakistan:
The essential or rudimentary criteria for applying MBBS course is,
- Candidates should pass a level of XII or higher secondary/ the pre-university certified examination with science subjects (chemistry, physics, biology includes zoology +botany).
- The candidates are also required to study English as the main subject for qualifying examination.
- Furthermore, students are required to fulfill the age limit criteria, which is integral to completing the 17th year of age at the time of admission.
- The candidates should have passed higher secondary school or F.Sc (pre-medical) by obtaining at least 70% marks.
- Candidates passed by obtaining 70% marks on the basis of aggregate in a science subject and thus the course must have aptly certified or verified by the inter-board committee of the chairman (IBCC), which is equivalent to higher secondary school certificate (HSSC) level of Pakistan.
- Overseas or foreign Pakistani students must have completed their last two years of education schooling system from abroad and students anxious or desired of taking admission in MBBs programs on the basis of open merit, or foreign quota seats should pass by getting minimum 70% marks in aggregate.
- Now the equivalence by IBCC under the rule and shall be accepted aggregate marks, the students must be entitled to take admission tests in the MBBS program.
- If candidates obtained 60%marks in the entry test, they may not be considered eligible for the MBBS course.
- If the Pakistani students are certified from the foreign education system in Pakistan, they’ll be qualified for foreign quota seats.
- Without preconception to any other eligibility criteria underneath these regulations, overseas or foreign Pakistani desires of taking admission in MBBS against open merit-based, foreign quota and self-finance seats must have to meet following extra additional eligibility criteria.
- Students should have to pass the English language Expertise test, for example, IELTS or valid TOFEL with a score of at least 500 or 5.5, or another option is to have attestation by the National University of Modern Language (NUML) after a year of English language course.
- The student of foreign, overseas Pakistani candidates, they must have to qualify from abroad, may also apply if they passed it progress foreign in SATII examination with at least 550marks in each science subject of foreign MCAT with a minimum score of 500.
- The student will not be considered eligible for foreign quota seats unless, if they hold on Permanent lasting foreign nationality or they are overseas existence Pakistani citizen Permanent resident of the inhabitant in foreign countries.
- Candidates of Pakistan who have passed HSSC XII grade examination are equivalent from outside Pakistan and residents of abroad, whenever at the time of petition to apply for admission and possess a certificate from institutions to take part in the last attended to this effect.
MBBS Eligibility in abroad:
Every country’s universities have their own criteria to take admission or enroll in any program. Those students are looking to study MBBS abroad, the basic criteria to take admission MBBS program is,
- The student should be 17th years or plus as on 31st December of the year in which the admission is being taken in MBBS.
- The candidates should have fulfilled the class 12th.
- The candidates must have an aggregate of at least 50% in science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, and Biology) and also must have English as a compulsory subject, If candidates from the general category.
- The student must have an aggregate of at least or minimum 40% in science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, and Biolog)y and also must have English as a compulsory subject, if the candidate is from SC/ST/OBC.
General Structure Of MBBS and Course Subjects (Semester wise)
Content: The course of MBBS is designed into three volumes these are,
i) Basic organization of integrated modular curriculum
ii) Outline curriculum document
iii) Definitions, codes and abbreviation
iv) Five year curriculum organization
v) Semester wise module
vi) Skill curriculum
- semester-9 and 10
- consolidated transcripts
- recommended books
- review and feedback
Content of semester subsections:
The content of each semester subsection is in the following sequence.
- Semester title with modules in semester, duration and credit hours.
- Module section
i) Title of modules (with module code and semester name).
ii) Name of members of module committee, module co-ordinator and documentor
iii) Rationale of module
iv) Learning objectives of module (with modes of information and transfer and mode of assessment)
v) Time table with names of faculty and venue.
vi) Table of specification
vii) Learning objectives of lectures.
viii) Credit hours.
- Assignment plans for the whole semester
- Viva station
- Semester transcript
List of Modules in MMBS
Here is a table for Syllabus of MBBS degree (semester wise), all the courses which are taught to a MBBS students in the MBBS degree program are listed below:
Head and Neck and special senses
|GIT and liver-1
Renal and excretory system-1
|GIT and liver-2
Renal and excretory system-2
Orthopedic-2 / Trauma
Rheumatology and Rehabilitation
Genetic and Dermatology
Neurosciences and Psychiatry-2
|Gynecology and obstetrics
Curriculum of Practical Skills
The course design of MBBS is based on five yearThe following practical skills are thought to the student simulation in the undergraduate skills lab of the professional development centres
First year Courses for MBBS DEGREE STUDENT
|1.1 FOUNDATION OF MODULE
|2.1 LOCOMOTOR MODULE
|1. First aid skills part 1
|5. Vital signs
|2. First aid skills part 2
|6. Basic life support
|1.2 BLOOD MODULE
|2.2 RESPIRATORY SYSTEM
|3. Intramuscular injection and venipuncture
|7. Introduction to respiratory system
|4. Intravenous cannulation
|2.3 CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM
|8. Introduction to cardiovascular system examination
Second year Courses for MBBS DEGREE STUDENT
|3.1 NERVOUS SYSTEM
|4.1 GIT AND LIVER
|9. Introduction to central nervous system
|12. Introduction to abdominal examination
|3.2 HEAD AND NECK SPECIAL SENSES
|13. Nasogastric intubation
|10. Cranial nerves examination
|4.2 RENAL AND EXCRETORY SYSTEM
|14. Male urethral catheterization
|11. Examination of prostate
|15. Female urethral catheterization
|4.3 REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM
|16. Examination of breast
Third year Courses for MBBS DEGREE STUDENT
|5.1 INFECTIOUS DISEASES
|6.1 GIT AND liver (includes nutritional disorder)
|17. History taking skills
|21. Abdominal examination
|22. History taking
|18. Introduction to advanced cardiac life support
|6.2 RENAL AND EXCRETORY SYSTEM
|5.3 RESPIRATORY SYSTEM
|23. Male and female urethral catheterization
|19. Auscultation of lungs
|5.4 CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM
|24. Arterial puncture
|20. Auscultation of heart
Fourth year Courses for MBBS DEGREE STUDENT
|8.1 NEUROSCIENCES AND PSYCHIATRY
|29. Lumbar puncture
|8.2 ORTHOPEDICS, RHEUMATOLOGY AND TRA UMA CARE (bones and joints)
|30. Revision of First Aid skills
|7.3 DERMATOLOGY, PLASTIC SURGERY/ BURNS
|27. Introduction to basic surgical skills
|7.4 REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM
|28. Examination of reproductive system
|7.5 GENETICS AND ENVIRONMENTAL DISORDERS
Final year Courses for MBBS DEGREE STUDENT
Semester 9 and 10
9.1-31– EMERGENCY LIFE SAVING SKILLS MEDICINE
9.2-32– EMERGENCY LIFE SAVING SKILLS PEDIATRICS
9.3-33– EMERGENCY LIFE SAVING SKILLS GYNECOLOGY AND OBSTETRICS
9.4-34– EMERGENCY LIFE SAVING SKILLS SURGERY
Top 10 Universities to do MBBS in Pakistan
Our country is blessed with some of the best medical universities which are located in different cities of Pakistan. Here are ten best medical Universities mentioned, according to the HEC ranking. Between the different educational faculties in Pakistan, the medical study is one of the most popular fields in Pakistan.
As we all know in Pakistan, medical universities are regulated by The Higher Education Commission (HEC).
Aga Khan University, Karachi
Aga khan university was established in 1983, In the ranking, Aga Khan Medical University is one of the best medical universities in Pakistan by HEC This medical university also offers nursing, health sciences as well as programs in media, arts, and communication. Aga Khan medical university has its other campuses in Uganda, Tanzania, and Kenya as well.
University of Health Sciences, Lahore
University of Health Sciences (UHS) is also the best medical university in Lahore. The university of health science is ranked second as the ranking of medical universities in Pakistan by HEC. This university also offers medical education of the international standard.
Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi
Dow University of Health Sciences is one of the oldest and greatest ranked medical universities as well as research institutes of Pakistan. In Dow University there are two major institutes which offer undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs are,
i) Dow Medical College (DMC)
ii) Dow International Medical College (DIMC).
This university also offers Clinical Research Certified Professional courses.
Khyber Medical University (Peshawar)
Khyber Medical University in Peshawar was set up with the aim of high standard medical education in Pakistan, especially for the students of Peshawar. This medical university was established seven years ago and affiliated with HEC. For operating and utilizing the aim, to offer excellent medical education for those students who live in tribal areas.
Isra University, Hyderabad
Isra University is in Hyderabad, Karachi and Islamabad. This medical educational university is ruled by Isra Islamic Foundation and this university verified by the Pakistan center of philanthropy. King Edward Medical University, Lahore
King Edward Medical University
King Edward Medical University is the second finest medical institute in Lahore. High educational standard, suitable and appropriate up to the mark substructure and infrastructure, this university is a highly qualified professionals university.Ranking in top 10 medical universities by HEC and this university also offers undergraduate and graduate programs in basic sciences, allied and medicine surgery.
Ziauddin Medical University, Karachi
This university was founded by Dr. Ziauddin Ahmed with this aim to rely on high quality medical universities amongst Muslims. Ziauddin University is one of the most familiar and reportable medical institutes in Pakistan. This medical institute is now divided into different departments and faculties (i.e, faculty of medicine, college of dentistry, nursing college, physical therapy college, pharmacy depart,biomedical engineering depart , department of research, faculty of allied health sciences and institute of media.
Liaquat University, Jamshoro
Liaquat University is also one of the best grade medical universities and established in Jamshoro. Along with the MBBS program this university offers various undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate programs.
Gandhara University, Peshawar
Gandhara university located in the capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.Gandhara University is a well-known and well- recognized medical university in Peshawar. The standard of education at Gandhara University is high and helps students develop academically as well as professional skills.
Baqai Medical University
Baqai Medical University is known as the pioneer and explorer of medical, dental and allied health sciences in the Pakistani as a private sector. All educational programs offered at Baqai as the international standards.
Top Universities to Study MBBS in abroad
1. MBBS In china
In China, 45 medical universities are best to take admission for the MBBS program and these medical institutions are approved by MCI. But China is the best choice to study MBBS for Indian students.
Here are some medical colleges in China:
- Ningbo University
- Jiangsu University
- wuhan University
- Huazhong University of Science & Technology
- Jilin Medical University
- China Medical University
- Capital Medical University
2. MBBS in Philippines
Philippines is the second best choice for students to complete their MBBS degree at low cost. The medical universities in the Philippines follow the American teaching pattern. The cost in Philippines universities will be around 25 lakh. Some of the best universities in Philippines is,
- Angeles University Foundation
- Our Lady of Fatima University
- University of Perpetual Help
3. Study MBBS from Nepal
Students whose ambition is to enroll in MBBS education medical colleges in Nepal is the best option to choose. If you are looking forward best medical institute for MBBS in Nepal, few medical institute list is,
- National Medical College
- Nepal Medical College
- Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences (KUSMS)
- Kathmandu Medical College
5. Affordable MBBS from Kyrgyzstan
If you find affordable MBBS programs, you may go to Kyrgyzstan.The cost of an MBBS degree only is between Rs. 12 – 18 lakh. Students who have got a minimum 50% marks in 12th grade in science subjects are eligible to apply for MBBS here.
Here are some of the reputed institutions:
- Asian Medical Institute
- Kyrgyz-Russian Slavic University
- International School of Medicine
6. MBBS in USA
Students who wish to enroll in MBBS from the USA must clear the MCAT.The duration of MBBS course is 4 years.Some of the best medical colleges are:
- University of New Mexico School of Medicine
- Mayo Clinic School of Medicine
- University of Central Florida College of Medicine
7. MBBS in Germany
If you want to enroll in an MBBS program in Germany,it is mandatory to clear IELTS AND TOEFL exams.Germany is one of the best option to choose for MBBS.Some of the best medical universities of Germany:
Alternative Career Options and Courses after MBBS
After the completion of the MBBS degree, the first question arises in your mind
“What after MBBS?”
As we know, day by day, the demand for medical professionals is increasing due to the unfortunate shortage of doctors, health care providers. Career in MBBS is very rewarding and honorable for the students, for those who are interested in science and dealing with treating sick people.
For a better career you must have some skills (like deep knowledge in the medical field, Best diagnosing ability or examining the patients,self-confidence, caring nature, counseling skill and good communication to interact with your patients).
There are so many good job and career opportunities for the students after completing the degree in medicine as a doctor. This field is challenging with 100% job placement.After completing the MBBS degree successfully, there are two options for doctors,
i) start their own venture or go for a job in the medical field.
ii)Students also go for the government jobs as a doctor or join a private health firm.
In today’s fast, challenging, and competitive world many doctors are searching and trying for challenging career options for their clinical practices. The more demanding and challenging nature of medical practices needs to take bolder steps and be more open to changing careers. Few career options which proven best for doctors is,
10 Career Options after MBBS
After successfully completing your MBBS degree program and 1 year house job, you can join multiple opportunities in hospitals. Some of the major Career options that MBBS doctors can pursue after their education are as follow:
1. Hospital Administration
One of the most beneficial and honorable career alternatives after doing MBBS is hospital
Administration because the administrative jobs are the time-honored and well-established options for the doctors.
To get command and control the challenge of a lack of business awareness and sharpness, so many doctors are choosing this alternative career and taking up business courses and pursuing an MBA.
2. Medical Teacher/ Professor
Medical education is one of the most excellent careers you can choose after MBBS. For a job
A profile after doing an MBBS teaching career provens best alternative career after MBBS. You may support trainee medical students or doctors, educating the public health care providers. You may earn a handsome amount as well for your expertise and enhancing your knowledge.
3. Health / Medical Journalism and Medical Writing
Journalism is a very wide and finest field. As a medical writer, you can work in academia, industry and companies ( such as medical devices, pharmaceuticals). You can write manuscripts and typescript reports on clinical trials, news articles, regulatory submissions, research bases and patient education materials.
For this career path after doing MBBS, you need to gain more qualifications for starting a successful journalism career.
4. Public Health Worker
Public health is about encouragement, prompting, protecting and preserving the health of the general population It is one of the most challenging, demanding, honorable and ethical jobs since you might work on preventing and protecting the spread of infectious diseases or environmental health threats and also work with your government on many pivotal projects for saving lives.
5. Clinical Forensic Medical Examiner
After completion or fulfillment of your MBBS course, you may also take an interesting way to become a Clinical Forensic Medical Examiner.The role of forensic examiner is to examine the living and forensic pathologists.
6. Forensic Psychiatry
Forensic psychiatry is a speciality of psychiatry and is related to criminology.After completion of your MBBS forensic psychiatry is one of the best alternative careers.
7. Medico-Legal Advisor
This field is quiet related with the legal angle of the medical cases. After doing MBBS, this is a highly paid alternative option for those interested in a medico-legal career.
8. Medical or Pharmaceutical Researcher
The medical research field is spirited and energetic that is constantly developing. Those who are interested in conducting experiments and analyze results to learn more about the human body and potential treatments are medical researchers.This is the best alternative option after completion of MBBS degree,
9. Transplant Coordinator
Administrative and medical alternatives both are career options to MBBS and also for those professionals who coordinate with activities which are related to organ donation and transplantation. They cooperate or co-ordinate with medical, paramedical and non-medical personnel and might be involved in other stages of the process,
10. Academic Medicine
Academic medicine is also the best career option after MBBS where the doctors not only engage in clinical practice or rotation, instead they also provide their knowledge with medical students and take part in research programs.
MBBS Doctor Salary
How much money you may earn after you have completed your MBBS?
After completing the MBBS degree, every student wants to know how much they will earn per year or per month to live a better life. The salary of the MBBS program holder depends on how much knowledge & experience students have. The initial salary of a medical graduate doctor is approx. Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 35,000 per month. After getting the experience and good hands-on practice, the student may get a handsome salary as 8 to 10 lakh per annum.