To help pre medical students choose a well-reputed medical university in Pakistan. Our team at Daily Medicos, Has compiled a complete list of Top Medical Universities in Pakistan.
With over 216.6 Million living in Pakistan, over 53,000 students apply every year to various medical colleges situated all over the country. Are you part of those 53,000 students that are looking to pursue Medicine but are confused about which university will work for them, then you need to go through the list we have prepared for you below discussing Medical Colleges/Universities in various cities all over the nation?
Top Medical Universities in Karachi:
Karachi is home to a few of the best Medical Universities in Pakistan, for students seeking to earn respectable titles of a doctor, dentist, pharmacist, and various others. The medical universities in Pakistan produce prominent medical professionals working in Pakistan and contribute so much to the sector.
Although there are quite a few Government as well as Private Medical Colleges in Karachi, there are some that stand out that are
- The Aga Khan University
- Dow University of Health Sciences
- Ziauddin Medical University
- Baqai Medical University
- Jinnah Sindh Medical University
- Karachi Medical and Dental College
The Aga Khan University:
Aga Khan University also known as the AKU was founded by Prince Kareem Aga Khan through the Aga Khan development network. One of the most prestigious medical schools in Pakistan, AKU is the popular choice of Medical Students all over Pakistan and even of students abroad. The university offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees for students and gives them access to state-of-the-art facilities such as libraries, classrooms, and advanced equipment for students to practice and study about.
- Undergraduate is offered in MBBS and Associate of Dental Hygiene, whereas in the Graduate program you have the option to study MA in Health Policy and Management, MS in Epidemiology and biostatistics, Master of Health Professions Education, and Ph.D. in Health Sciences. For Post Graduate you can practice as an intern in the internship program, as a resident in the resident program, and even in the fellowship program.
- Year 1 and 2 are where Social Sciences and Humanities is covered and is followed by 13 modules that are centered on Body Systems and their follow-up processes.
- Year 3 is when clinical clerkship begins and students are sent to conduct basic immersions.
- Year 4 and 5 is when an in-depth rotation takes place in the hospital, community centers, and even other related facilities.
Tuition fees and various other fees for programs vary from year to year here at the AKU, for the academic year 2021-2022, students who are Pakistani nationals have to pay an amount of PKR
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
For more information check out their website: https://www.aku.edu/Pages/home.aspx
Dow University of Health Sciences:
One of the most oldest and respected government medical universities in Karachi, Pakistan. Students choose DOW when they think about pursuing a career in the field of medicine.
The Entity includes a list of various colleges such as
- Dow International Medical College
- Dow Medical College
- Dow Dental College
- Dow College of Pharmacy
- Dow College of Pharmacy
- Dow College of Biotechnology
- Dow College of Biomedical Engineering and Technology
Not only does it offer education through various colleges but it comprises various institutions such as:
- The Ojha Institute of Chest Diseases
- Dow Institute of Radiology
- National Institute of Diabetes and Endocrinology.
Undergraduate programs offered by Dow:
- Bachelor in Dental Surgery
- Doctor of Pharmacy
- Doctor of Physiotherapy
- BS Generic Nursing
- BS in Dental Care Professional
- BS Medical Technology
- Bachelors of Business Administration
- BS Nutritional Sciences
- BS Biotechnology
- Associate of Applied Sciences
- Associate of Biomedical Engineering
Not only does the university offer undergraduate but also post-graduate programs.
Post Graduate Programs:
- Ph.D. in Public Health Program
- Ph.D. in Basic Medical Sciences
- Master of Dental Surgery
- Master in Public Health
- Masters in Nursing
- Masters of Science in Public Health
- Masters of Science in Biostatistics and Epidemiology
- MS Advanced Physiotherapy
- MS Transfusion Medicine and Tissue typing
In terms of its fees and offering high-value education Dow is an option for medical students looking for affordable yet good modern facilities. The fee structure for undergraduate programs ranges from PKR 500,000-600,000 if you are studying MBBS, for BDS a student needs to pay PKR 200,000-300,000 per year and the per annum fee for the doctor of pharmacy. It ranges differently for different degrees.
For further information check out their website: https://www.duhs.edu.pk/new/
Ziauddin Medical University:
Another renowned Medical University in Karachi is the Ziauddin University and it is considered as one of the top educational facilities in Karachi offering valuable education along with various other facilities to its students. Did you know that the HEC considers it as one of the top medical colleges in Pakistan?
Ziauddin Medical College is located on the main campus of Clifton and is accessible to students all over the city. It has other institutions as well that offer education in various other fields like:
- The College of Rehabilitation Sciences
- The College of Medical Technology
- The College of Nursing
All of the above are situated in the area of North Nazimabad in Karachi and are open to facilitate students from all over the city and beyond. Not only this but they have hospitals located in Clifton, Kemari, and North Nazimabad open to students to access the latest facilities to develop a better understanding of their subjects.
The College offers both Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs:
Post Graduate Programs:
- Ph.D. Programs
- Doctor of Medicine in Clinical Sciences
- Master of Surgery in Clinical Sciences
- Masters in Health Care Management
The fee structure of the university varies from year to year for the MBBS program. Students in the Year 1 and Year 2 have to pay an amount of PKR 1,400,000 per year and the Year 3 fee is PKR 1,600,000. The fees of the further years depend upon the rate of inflation that the State Bank announces and you’ll come to find out about it when you reach the respect years.
To find out more regarding the university and its programs you can follow up the link and surf the website: https://zmc.zu.edu.pk/
Now let’s move to the city of Lahore and find what institutions are available there for students looking to pursue Medicine in Lahore.
Top Medical Universities in Lahore:
Lahore being the capital of Punjab is quite focused amongst the rest of the cities in building some of the best medical universities in Pakistan.
These top medical universities consist of not only state-of-the-art facilities to ensure that students get the most out of it they also have top-notch and highly qualified professors to keep up with the standards set by international universities.
So if you are someone looking to pursue a career in Medicine and you live in Lahore then you may be benefiting quite a lot from this part of the article. Keep reading more to find out which universities make the list of the best medical universities and why.
- University of Health Sciences
- King Edward Medical University
- Lahore Medical and Dental College
- CMH Lahore Medical College and Institute of Dentistry
These are some of the top-ranked medical universities in Lahore. Let’s scroll further to develop a better understanding of each of the following.
University of Health Sciences:
UHS is a public university established in the year 2002, not only is this a university but also a research center for individuals who aim to become medical specialists and supporters of biological sciences. The university offers various medical courses that include Dentistry, Nursing, and Biomedical. Not only this but various other special training programs are also offered by the college to provide immediate care in situations of emergency or accidents to cater to patients before they are taken to the hospitals.
Did you know that UHS is working in collaborating with WHO?
Programs at UHS Lahore include the following:
- Pharm D
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- B.Sc in Nursing and several other subjects related to biosciences.
- Graduate programs:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Family Medicine
- Masters in Family Medicine, MHPE, and TDPE.
- M.Phill leading to Ph.D. in Anatomy, Medical Education and Microbiology, etc.
You won’t believe it but the fee structure of UHS is unbelievable, they charge around PKR 16,000 for MBBS and PKR 16,000 for BDS too. Shocking isn’t it?
For more information check out their website: https://www.uhs.edu.pk/
King Edwards Medical College:
This is one of the oldest medical colleges in Lahore, established in 1860. According to HEC, quality and research-based rankings rank as sixth amongst all universities in Pakistan. Located in the heart of the city, King Edwards works in collaboration with WHO as well.
Below is the list of medical programs offered at the King Edwards Medical College:
- Doctor of Physiotherapy (DPT)
- B.Sc in various subjects like Vision sciences and speech therapy etc.
- Postgraduate Diploma
The fee structure of MBBS in King Edwards College is PKR 15,360 and DPT is PKR 54,000. Which is quite affordable as compared to other universities.
For more information check out their website: https://kemu.edu.pk/
Lahore Medical and Dental College:
When thinking about private colleges it is said that LMDC is the pioneer in private colleges. It’s located near the North Canal Bank and is divided into three main institutions providing medical courses. LMDC is a medical college that has set a new level in knowledge, the university makes its students work for the greater good and helps them reach better places.
Programs offered at LMDC:
Students can choose the following courses in the undergraduate program.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
The fee structure of MBBS is PKR 1,300,000 and BDS is PKR 1,300,000 for both programs.
To find out further regarding the medical college you can click on the website: https://lmdc.edu.pk/
Next comes Islamabad, let’s find out more about the universities here:
Top Medical Colleges in Islamabad:
Students looking to pursue medicine in Islamabad need not worry because here’s a list of top-ranked Medical Colleges in Pakistan. We have to provide you with the knowledge of a few of them just to make it easier for you and to understand how the system works. Let’s read!
- Federal Medical And Dental College
- Shifa College of Medicine
- Islamabad Medical and Dental College
- Fazaia Medical College
- Islam Medical College
- HBS Medical College
Federal Medical and Dental College:
Associated with the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences is one of the first public-sector medical colleges located in Islamabad. The following are the programs that are offered at FMDC
The fee structure of FMDC including hostel dues is PKR 115,000 and the fees for the second, third, fourth, and fifth-year fee is PKR 67,000, which is pretty affordable considering other Medical colleges in Pakistan.
For more information check out their website: http://fmdc.com.pk/
Shifa College of Medicine
One of the highly recognized medical colleges in the capital city of Pakistan, Shifa College of Medicine is affiliated with Shifa Tameer-e-Millat whose goal is to help students enhance their lifelong competencies amongst students studying here.
The basis of the college is adopted by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Canada. Not only does Shifa College focus on education but it’s also more focused on making its students practice as much as they can perform better later.
The services that the college provides in terms of academic is
- Health Sciences
- Clinical Psychology
- Behavioural Sciences
- Health Professions Education
The faculty here at Shifa College is excellent and is composed of highly educated professionals who help students reach their goal in education with the best academic as well as research environment making it easier for the individuals to learn concepts and adapt them. Shifa College of Medicine offers the following programs for students to study:
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Bachelors in Nursing
- M.Phil in Clinical Pharmacy Practice
- Associate of Science
- Bachelors of Science
- Diploma in Medical Technology
The fee structure of the MBBS program here at Shifa varies accordingly and increases every year. For instance, in Year 1 students need to pay PKR 1,100,000 and in Year 2 it increases to PKR 1,155,000 and so on.
To find out more about the university you can click on the given link and skim through the official website: https://stmu.edu.pk/
If you are a student from here and are not willing to move away from home then do not worry because we have got you covered. Scroll further!
Top Medical Colleges in Peshawar:
Living in Peshawar and not looking to move away from the beautiful and rich culture and the feel of home, well we get you the reason why we have gathered names of a few medical universities in your city facilitating you to become medical practitioners of tomorrow.
Located near Canal Road, Peshawar Gandhara University specializes in creating a team of individuals for a better tomorrow. The Gandhara University is a private university and is chartered and run by the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. It was founded back in 2002 and is accredited and recognized by the HEC for its service. Not only is it a good place of study but it is also affiliated with the College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan for various courses including dental.
The following are the programs stated below that the Gandhara University provides.
- Paramedical Technology
The focus of the university isn’t only on education but on researching public sciences too. It is said to be one of the top medical institutions in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and by the HEC it’s ranked 9th at the medical level. The primary focus of the university to prepare their doctors, nurses, dentists, and pharmacists for a better tomorrow and to help them compete with all sorts of bottles. The reason why they organize various seminars and co-curricular and extra-curricular activities to help establish better know-how regarding their field. How amazing?
Want to find out more? Log onto their website: https://www.gandhara.edu.pk/
Ayub Medical College
Founded and formed in the year 1977, the Ayub Medical College is affiliated with the Khyber Medical University. The university covers an extensive area of 130 acres and provides medical teachings to students at the Ayub Teaching School.
The departments that fall under the university is
- Medical Section
- Clinical Sciences
- Dental Section
The university is a public university and currently has approximately 1500 students studying MBBS and BDS degree programs. The faculty has an amazing set of 200 people helping the people of today become the best versions of medical practitioners of tomorrow. The fee structure for the first year is 250,000 and for the next four years, students have to pay an amount of PKR 200,000. Easier and getting a good education all in one that is too near home!
To find out more you can click the link on the website: https://ayubmed.edu.pk/
After finding all about the different universities teaching Medical and contributing to various medical practitioners of tomorrow students come up with some questions and we have decided to answer them for you, keep scrolling!
A Mini-Guide For a Student Looking to Pursue Medicine:
How long does one study Medicine in Pakistan and can it be completed before the given time?
To complete the degree of Bachelors of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery also called the MBBS degree one needs to complete and study for 5 years in Pakistan and it cannot be completed before that.
What are the general requirements of a student applying to a Medical University in Pakistan?
Students looking to apply to Medical Universities in Pakistan need to complete their Intermediate/Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) in Pre-Medical and score 50% above. Students coming from O levels/A levels need to make sure they have completed their education in Medical Subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, and Physics taken up the same subjects in their A levels too.
Which Schools require the SAT score?
- As per the general rule, Medical Universities in Pakistan are run by the Government of Pakistan and do not require SAT-I and SAT-II but at the same time, private colleges require SAT scores in Pakistan to be submitted for the admissions criteria.
- Please note that currently in Pakistan only The Aga Khan University requires the SAT-I test whereas other private colleges require the SAT-II test. Do check out their forum to be sure about what you need to do and which exam you need to give.
- Your SAT-I needs to be above 1250 and if you are giving the SAT-II make sure you score around 650 for the subjects Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
Difference between the private and government medical colleges admission process in Pakistan?
- Both of the processes are completely different, however, both the processes begin when you acquire the IBCC Equivalence Certificate.
- For government colleges, you will have to submit your applications to the Higher Education Commission (HEC) and prepare for your admission test that is the MCAT.
- For private colleges, you will be dealing with the Admissions Department of the college that you are willing to apply to. They will require your Equivalence Certificate, you will have to follow the application requirements and after getting the prospectus and completing your applications you can then submit it.
- The admission test may differ, there may be SAT-I or SAT-II results that you need to submit along with your transcripts.
What do foreign students need to do to apply to Medical Universities?
Are you a foreign student? Well here’s what you may need to apply to a Medical University in Pakistan.
Firstly, if you are someone whos applying from America then you need to complete four years of high school and a high school diploma and show proof of your graduation to the Inter Board of Committee Chairman (IBCC), an agency in Pakistan responsible for converting grades/marks of foreign schools into Pakistani Educational System.
Is there an age limit to apply to a Medical University in Pakistan?
No, there isn’t any age limit to apply to Medical Universities in Pakistan.
Will you be allowed to practice in the US after completing your degree in Pakistan?
A list of Schools is approved by the WHO will be allowed to practice in the US but under some circumstances. One needs first to pass the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE), and after that one can successfully begin their residency and start practicing in the US.
*Please note that different states in the US have different terms and conditions. You will have to look up the Medical Board of the respective state.
If you have any further queries related to this article, Kindly Comment below and Our team members will respond to them very soon!