Homemade Emetics and IPECAC Details Explained!
As we know that there are many drugs made and discovered for multiple causes and diseases. Drugs are used to minimize the effects of abnormal things or disease conditions developing in the body. Just like these, scientists have made emetics that are medications that can be used to cause vomiting or make a person vomit if she or he has engulfed something. For example, if somebody took poison or took any wrong medicine so emetics are given to take them out before the adverse reactions appear or the condition gets worse. In medical terminology ‘emesis’ meaning ‘vomiting’. And the drug which induces vomiting is ‘emetic’.
What are Emetics?
An emetic is a medication or agent which is used to cause vomiting or nausea. Emetics are widely used throughout the world. People who have children especially have emetics in their first aid kit for an emergency if the child engulfs any toxic item or any poison or anything from which he is allergic. It is like a potion or syrup which directly acts on the gastrointestinal system.
What emetics do?
Emetics forces the stomach to empty itself. It is used in emergency cases of poisoning or intaking any toxic or harmful substance. The main function of emetic is the sensation of nausea and the ability to vomit the toxins which are engulfed. Emetic should be taken after reporting intake of poison before it gets fully ingested and give dangerous and harmful symptoms. The use and function of emetics are limited to induce vomiting and take the poisonous things out. If they are used for any other thing then it could give bad reactions.
Emetics causes dizziness, nausea, vomiting obviously, fast and slow uneven heartbeats, irritation in the stomach, shortness of breath in cases, and low blood pressure.
Homemade emetics are usually prepared by the dried roots of plant ‘CARAPICHEA IPECACUANHA’ which is commonly found in Brazil, Central America, and Atlantic forest. The most common emetic syrup is ‘IPECAC’ and it can be prepared homeopathically by the root of ipecacuanha. The syrup stimulates the nervous system and forces the stomach to take out everything.
The main purpose of this syrup is to expectorate ingested poison or drug overdose from a person or any other noxious thing before fully ingested. It is a powerful emetic that is also used for the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases, and diarrhea in some cases. Knowing how to make an Ipecac preparation will help in cases of emergency situations such as drug intoxication or if somebody engulfed poison.
Parents for years, usually keep this emetic syrup at home to induce emesis.
How to prepare homemade ipecac:-
These instructions can be used under the assistance of any professional. Kindly keep it out of the reach of children. Your first priority is to buy this emetic from a medical store if you can not find it there then you can make a homemade emetic with the help of the following items and step by step procedure.
What ingredients do we need?
For making homemade ipecac syrup for emesis, you need:
- Acetic acid
- And sugar.
The step by step procedure for making homemade emetic that is ipecac at home is as follows.
- First, add 1000 ml of water with 10 ml of acetic acid and put it aside.
- Then Dilute the ipecac fluid extract with 300 ml of the water and acetic acid mixture and mix it thoroughly by shaking.
- Then Filter the mixture, pass enough water in the filtration process in order to obtain 500 ml of filtrate.
- Now add 100 ml of glycerin into the filtrate.
- And dissolve 700 grams of sugar into the mixture.
- Add enough water to obtain a product that reaches the measurement of 1000 ml.
- Mix the solution thoroughly and then strain.
- Store it in a bottle, jar, or any container and also label it.
ALERT:- This procedure steps are only for the source of information.
Do not get confused with the ipecac syrup and ipecac fluid extract. Do not contain these in the same jar or together or else it will cause harm. And even cause death because ipecac fluid extract is way more potent and aggressive than ipecac syrup.
Tips to use homemade emetic at home:-
You should be very careful while handling drugs and medications. They should be taken with proper prescription and medium. Any carelessness can harm the person who is taking or worse the condition. Some important tips while taking the homemade emetic or ipecac are:
- By taking ipecac with milk or any other drink except water will reverse the action of ipecac or emetic that means it will not induce vomit or can give other irritable reactions and inhibits the real purpose.
- When you are preparing it at home you should be very careful with the dosage of all ingredients. Do not overdose it.
- After preparing it, store it in a jar and keep it at room temperature. Most importantly label it so anybody else doesn’t drink it.
- Ipecac can be harmful when it is in direct contact with the skin. It causes irritation.
- Ipecac is also harmful when it is inhaled so prepare it with full precautions and measures.
- Before giving it to anybody at home kindly tell the person about the action and medical use.
- Use as prescribed and kindly make sure what dosage you are giving.
Dosage varies with the age of the person taking it. It should be taken by mouth. Overdose can be harmful. The dosage of homemade emetic or ipecac to avoid an accidental overdose is:
- Adults should have 30 to 60 ml.
- For children in between, 1 year and 2 year is 4 to 8 ml. If relief is not observed then repeat this after every 10 to 20 minutes.
- For children after 2 years, 10 to 15 ml should be taken.
The time of action for ipecac is 10 minutes. The average time in which the stomach will be emptied is 20 minutes after action time.
Side effects of ipecac:-
Any emetic or Ipecac or any other homemade emetic which is manufactured and prepared for a specific purpose of treatment which is to induce vomiting and make the stomach clear either it is any poison or any other harmful thing. Emetics are marked safe when taken orally with water only. Changing in medium or route or overdosing can be lethal for the affected person.
- Ipecac is unsafe when it comes in direct contact with the skin. It causes itching and irritation in the touched area.
- Ipecac contains emetine which is an irritant for the respiratory tract. So if the ipecac is inhaled or smelled it can cause irritation in the respiratory tract or lungs.
- Ipecac is unsafe for pregnant women and breastfeeding women. It increases the chance of miscarriage.
- It is prohibited to use ipecac for the children under one year. Their stomach lining is more sensitive than adults; it will cause severe damage and even death in children if used in large amounts of high dose. First, consult a doc before using homemade emetic.
- It is unsafe for people who have digestive tract problems like ulcers, infections, or any other disease like Crohn’s disease.
- Ipecac should be prohibited to use in people who are unconscious or poisoned with chemicals like petrol, corrosives, or strychnine.
- Ipecac is safe only for short term usage by mouth. It is not safe if taken for a long term in large amounts orally. It starts causing poisoning and damages the heart.
- Misuse or overdose of ipecac can cause high damage, poisoning, and death.
Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning:
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty in breathing
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Heart problems
- Abnormal heart rhythms
- Damage in esophagus
- Hematuria i.e. blood in the urine
- And in last death.
According to the American Academy, it is stated that “Syrup of ipecac should no longer be routinely used as a poison treatment intervention in the home.” Having or preparing ipecac syrup at home doesn’t prove anything about saving lives. Talk to a professional before taking any step. Instead of relief if you are having adverse reactions or any other symptoms then immediately call emergency and rush towards a healthcare provider.
A student of RESPIRATORY THERAPY from Dow University of Health Sciences. She tries to sum up most of the informative content about health diseases. Most commonly highlighting Cardio-Pulmonary illnesses. Providing indications & contraindications for various diseases and aims to empower not only medical students but common people.