In childhood, you are usually getting advice from elder ones to eat citrus fruit for getting vitamin C. you are emphasized in taking this vitamin of its tremendous benefits to the body. Vitamin C works as a secret agent in your body. It fixes your skin issues and naturally provides treatment for many health-related problems.
Let us have a view of Vitamin C:
Vitamin C is also known as Ascorbic acid o L-ascorbic acid. It belongs to the family of water-soluble vitamins. It has a natural origin but is also available in supplements.
Sources of Vitamin C:
Vitamin C is present naturally in many types of food such as
- Citrus fruits like orange and lemon
- Green leafy vegetables
Some Facts on Vitamin C:
- It is reported and documented about thousands of years ag0
- Lower mammals can synthesize vitamin c but humans are unable to synthesize it, therefore, they should intake it from the diet
- It is rapidly absorbed from the small intestine and extensively distributed to al tissues
- The stay time of vitamin C is only 24 hours, therefore, overconsumption will not store and excrete out of the body by urination
- Approx 0.6 -1.5 mg of vitamin C is present in 100 ml of blood
12 Significant Role That Vitamin C Plays In Our Life
1. Immunity booster:
Vitamin C plays a very smart role in enhancing the efficiency of the immune systems by increasing the production of white blood cells. The skin defense system depends on vitamin C for antioxidation and increasing resistance of the skin against foreign material. Moreover, it accelerates the wound healing and repairing of injured tissues
2. Lower the danger of heart disease:
It is reported by many surveys that people taking vitamin c supplements have a lower risk of heart disease as compared to people who don’t take vitamin C supplements. it lowers the level of LDL and blood triglycerides.
3. Helps in the management of cold and flu
Common flu and cold are among the most common disease. Vitamin c is supposed in the prevention of flu however it cannot reduce the risk of catching a cold but reduce its severity and decrease its duration.
4. Collagen synthesis:
Collagen is an important protein that is present in many connective tissues. It also helps in maintaining the proper structure of bones and skin. Vitamin C converts Procollagens (lysine and proline) into its derivative that further take part in collagen synthesis.
5. Iron Storage.
Iron stored in the human body in the form of ferritin. Vitamin C helps in the conversion of iron to ferritin so that it can be stored in the body. Vitamin C also takes part in the absorption of iron.
6. Role Of Vitamin C in the metabolism of chemicals in the body:
- Vitamin C works with certain enzymes in tryptophan metabolism to form serotonin which is a neurotransmitter.
- Vitamin C also takes part in the metabolism of Tyrosine which is an amino acid and building block of protein.
- Vitamin C helps inactivation the dihydrofolate acid into its active form i.e tetra hydro folic acid.
- They help in the formation of epinephrine (hormone) and non-epinephrine (neurotransmitter) which regulates the vital system of the body.
The prime function of an antioxidant is to capture oxygen radicals that result during a chemical reaction in the body .these oxygen radicals cause damage to the cell membrane from mild to a severe state. vitamin C Prevents skin against oxidative damage by sun and pollution.
8. Empirical therapy:
Empirical therapy is the treatment done in advance to avoid the occurrence of certain diseases. vitamin C is used to avoid many infectious diseases and also in the prevention of male infertility and atherosclerosis.
9. To Induce periods:
10. Skin aging:
According to the study carried out in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. A relation is revealed between asking aging and intake of vitamin C. It is reported that women with a daily intake of vitamin c have faced lower incidents of a wrinkled appearance, dryness of the skin, and better skin-aging control.
11. Stress reliever:
Vitamin c is found to be a nutrient that is sensitive to stress. especially individuals whose immune system gets weaker because of stress. In such situations, Vitamin C is helpful in the management of stress.
12. Other roles:
Studies also suggested that vitamin C plays a role in
- Prevention of cancer but not in cure
- Reduce the risk of macular degeneration
Daily Intake recommendations:
adults either male or female is generally recommended to take Vitamin C in a range of 65 to 90 mg per day. it should not exceed 2000mg per day. mostly it’s not found to be harmful but a large dose of vitamin C can cause diarrhea and nausea.
Circumstances of Vitamin C deficiency:
its deficiency can lead to either primary disease or secondary disease
Primary diseases like scurvy
Secondary diseases like iron deficiency anemia and poor mineralization of bones.
It is characterized by bleeding and swollen gums. It represents a condition in which there is a failure to deposit intracellular cement substance over bones and teeth. Blood capillaries become fragile leading to bleeding. it causes
- Delay wound healing
- Poor dentine formation in children
- Spongy gums
Symptoms of Vitamin C deficiency:
- Dry skin
- Easy bruising
- Painful joints
- Swollen joints
- Weak bones
Be Careful To use vitamin C:
It’s important to be cautious with Vitamin C while using Medication Like
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug
- Medications for blood clotting
It is necessary to consult with your pharmacist to use vitamin C with these medications.