There are some fears, some sicknesses which are identified but we carry it. Due to the lack of awareness and knowledge, people are unaware of these conditions. Some people do not know what motion sickness is and what causes it. How you can check whether you have it or not? Scroll down and see.
What is motion sickness?
Motion sickness is basically:
- Abnormal working of our senses.
- A sensation of wooziness, dizziness.
- It happens when the person is traveling either by plane, car, or train.
- It can even happen when you are taking a ride on a swing, or wheel, or roller coaster, or an amusement ride.
- It occurs when our senses send mixed signals to our brain and the brain can not identify it so it makes the person tired and sleepy.
- It occurs mostly in childhood.
- Carksickness, seasickness, motion sickness all fall in the same category of abnormal sense working.
Facts about motion sickness:-
So, now you know a brief about motion sickness and you may be curious to know more about it. If you experience such things whenever you are on a ride or traveling to another place then you must continue reading this article because this will give you much interesting info about motion sickness.
Let’s have a look at some cool facts:
- In motion sickness, the person experience vertigo, nausea, and diarrhea. In some severe cases SOB as well.
- Sometimes thinking about motion sickness is the way you can get it. Like if you having scary thoughts of the car ride, air travel, amusement ride, or train travel so you are more likely to have dizziness, and vertigo.
- All people experience motion sickness in an age. But some due to thinking it continues throughout life. Due to experiencing it for a long time, it has a high threshold on the person.
- The people who have migraines are more likely to have motion sickness.
- It mainly affects children age 2 to 12 years.
- It is also experienced by pregnant women.
- Sometimes motion sickness is due to a chronic brain injury, or accident. But this for a short time and it develops in another traumatic condition.
- Sometimes motion sickness end as the motion ends. It takes a little time but it ends.
- There is a condition that is developed by long time motion sickness which is “sopite syndrome”.
- It is shocking but DRIVERS NEVER GET MOTION SICKNESS.
- If you experience motion sickness as a passenger, try to drive the vehicle. Because the brain functions differently and does not generate thoughts of fear.
Symptoms of motion sickness:
The most common motion sickness symptom is an upset stomach and vertigo. But it depends on the period of thought. As per the thoughts continues the period of symptoms also continues and in a long time the symptoms become from mild to severe. It is mainly seen in children. Symptoms of motion sickness normally experienced by the people are:
- Cold sweating
- Dilated pupils
- Unable to maintain balance
- Pale skin
- Increase saliva production
- Loss of appetite
Causes of Motion Sickness:
Motion sickness is caused mainly by the production of thoughts of fear by traveling or having an amusement ride. It happens when there is conflict in our senses. There are separate roles of organs and senses in motion sickness. The balance of signals by all the senses to the brain is affected in motion sickness. It is like when you are taking a ride or sitting in the backseat of your car or train or plane, our eyes see something but deliver different signals to the brain. Just like this, your muscle sends different signals, your ears send different signals. This mixture of unbalanced signals develops dizziness and nausea. Because the brain can not take such mixed different signals at once. This imbalance of signals makes the person sick and makes him or her lose the balance.
How to prevent Motion Sickness?
Many people who have experienced motion sickness are aware of these tips.
In some cases, symptoms usually don’t last long because the person gets used to it so he or she takes preventive measures. The symptoms often end, once you get used to the situation. But there are some simple things you can do if the motion sickness isn’t going away on its own.
If you’re prone to motion sickness, these preventions will help you.
- If traveling on plain ask for a window seat.
- By traveling on trains, boats, or buses sit on the front seat facing forward and try to avoid facing backward.
- Open a window for a source of fresh air if possible.
- Avoid reading while traveling but some people find peace in it.
- Sitting at the front seat of a car or bus.
- Driving yourself often helps because many people who experience motion sickness in a vehicle experience that they don’t have the symptoms when they are driving.
- It’s important to get lots of rest the night before traveling.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid drinking alcohol and use of drugs.
- Dehydration, headache, and vertigo all lead to motion sickness.
- Eat healthy before and during traveling so that your stomach is satisfied.
- Do not eat oily or acidic foods before and during traveling.
- Keep your eyes in a single direction on a single object.
- Keep your body still and balanced.
- Do not smoke it can create worse conditions for the people new to motion sickness.
- Talk to a doctor or psychiatrist for therapies.
- You can not change the speed of the bus or waves of the sea or speed of the airplane so for preventing motion sickness you should take preventive medicine 3 hours before travel.
How to cure Motion Sickness?
There are many ways to cure and avoid motion sickness. Either by medication or by simple home remedies. Several medications are only for the treatment of motion sickness. Most only prevent the onset of symptoms. If you are still bothered by motion sickness and have severe symptoms then report to a doctor. Some Common medications that are mainly prescribed by AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians) are:
- Scopolamine. It eases vomiting and also does not make you tired and sleepy.
- Antiemetics are also used to ease vomiting and nausea.
- Benadryl (antihistamines) are also prescribed to make you sleep. And help prevent motion sickness.
- Over the counter medications Like gravol.
Some other medications are:
All these medications have side effects also. Long term use or use by your wish can cause fainting, drowsiness, dry mouth, and deep sleep. Kindly first ask your doctor about it then, take any medications. And tell your physician first if you have any allergy to these medications or ingredients present in these medicines.
How to treat motion sickness with the help of home remedies?
There are some natural ingredients whose intake can be beneficial for treating motion sickness. You can have them before traveling. Some people do not get comfort from taking medications and find relief in home remedies. Herbs that treat motion sickness are:
- Raw ginger
- Ginger ale
- Apple juice
- Lemon separately and with salt too
Some other remedies are:
- Drinking cold water, carbonated drinks like seltzer.
- Having candies. Especially ginger or mint candies.
- Ginger or mint capsules.
For pilots, astronauts, air hostesses, or others who experience motion sickness as part of their profession, cognitive therapy, and bio-feedback are possible solutions for them. Some researches stated that “Breathing exercises also help in overcoming motion sickness”.
These treatments and remedies are also for people who feel sick even when they just think about traveling.
Note for you!
Motion sickness is a factor that can spoil your trip but it can be avoided by the above preventive measures. But first before taking any medication or any herb ask about their side effects and tell your doctor if you are allergic to it. Not depend upon just medications but also try home remedies and therapies or exercises. If you know you have this condition so before a trip, plan, plan a diet, take medications, and try those exercises and remedies, avoid things that can make you feel sick or drowsy.
General FAQs on Motion Sickness:-
How to diagnose motion sickness by yourself?
motion sickness does not have any testing or examinations. If you are experiencing above mentioned symptoms report to a physician and tell him about the symptoms you get and then talk about medications and remedies. Mostly this problem resolves itself and does not need any diagnosis.
Do the receptors of our legs contribute to this sickness?
yes the sensory receptors of the legs make you feel nervous. They give mixed signals to our brain that our feet are not on the ground which makes the person nervous.
When it is suitable to see a doctor in Motion Sickness?
Motion sickness often ends when the travel is complete and when your body is at rest. Your brain perceiving normal signals. But when the symptoms get severe Or the symptoms continue even after the journey ends then it is a must-see a doctor. Some severe after journey symptoms are:
Loss of hearing
Shortness of breath
How to live with motion sickness?
Planning ahead is the best advice for motion sickness. If your motion sickness is mild, remedies and exercises are effective. If you know you have motion sickness, first relax, don’t overthink, plan your diet, rest, avoid things, take medicine before traveling because it is much effective to take it 2 or 3 hours before travel, and right seat selection.
A student of RESPIRATORY THERAPY from Dow University of Health Sciences. She tries to sum up most of the informative content about health diseases. Most commonly highlighting Cardio-Pulmonary illnesses. Providing indications & contraindications for various diseases and aims to empower not only medical students but common people.