- A smile seems to fade if teeth lose their whitening and become discolored. Females suffer this problem more as compared to men from a visual and cosmetic point of view.
- While men face this problem due to the overuse of tobacco, smoking, and drinking that ultimately end up with the unpleasant color of teeth.
- There are various techniques to restore the color of your teeth but still, we couldn’t ignore the importance and significance of natural remedies.
- Instead of visiting dentist, paying costly appointments, and experiencing painful procedures, people like to attempt the try of lightening their teeth color by using natural ingredients like baking soda, lemon, salt, etc
This article collectively covers the methods of natural teeth whitening procedures, tips, reasons, and appropriate methods to follow the remedy for good results including teeth whitening procedures using lemon peel, salt, ginger, and baking soda.
Your smile exhibits a lot about your personality. Teeth are the most prominent and focused elements that are noticeable at first glance while talking or smiling. The overall visual appearance enhances greatly with a pretty smile with white teeth. A smile seems incomplete without shiny white teeth. Relation of teeth whitening with the smile is so strong as it can enhance or spoil the overall image of your personality spontaneously. Females are most concerned about the depigmentation of teeth, as yellowing teeth become more prominent with a lip color, either dark or natural shades.
Factors that lead to teeth discoloration
Naturally, teeth are white in color but with the passage of time, they start to lose their color due to influence of several factors. It ultimately results in the yellowing of teeth. Before moving towards its solution, it’s better to notice the agents that cause teeth discoloration:
- Use of tobacco
- Overuse of some drinks like tea, coffee
- Excessive intake of fluoride
- Poor dental and oral hygiene
- Any trauma at a young age that causes disturbance in the formation of enamel
- Due to the side effects of any disease like chemotherapy
- Older age
- Tooth decay
Methods to whiten your teeth naturally at home
Teeth whitening is the process of restoration of the color of teeth. The process of teeth whitening is an expensive process but it becomes cheap by using natural ingredients at home. It saves time and money with satisfactory results. The methods of teeth whitening are as follows:
- Use of baking soda
- Use of lemon
- Use of salt
- Use of hydrogen peroxide
- Oil pulling
People seem curious to use these natural agents for teeth whitening and in search of effective methods with raising questions like:
- How to use baking soda for teeth whitening?
- How to whiten teeth using salts?
- How to whiten teeth using lemon peel?
- How to use ginger and salt for teeth whitening?
1. Baking soda for teeth whitening
The use of baking soda for the purpose of teeth whitening is an effective remedy because of its mild abrasive properties. It really works to reduce stain and remove plaque that stubbornly stick on the outer surface of teeth. Moreover, baking soda is alkaline in nature therefore it also works by neutralizing the acid produced by bacteria of the oral cavity responsible for gum problems and tooth decay.
Baking soda can be utilized for teeth whitening by adopting one out of the following mentioned procedures:
Method 1-Brush your teeth with simple baking soda
- Take baking soda in a bowl and dip your brush to make a layer of powder over it.
- Brush carefully for 2 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water thoroughly.
- Repeat this procedure once a weak for a few months to have good results.
Method 2-Baking soda with water
- Take one spoon of baking soda in a bowl.
- Add a few drops of water to give it a thick paste-like consistency.
- Use this paste to brush your teeth once in a weak.
Method 3-Baking soda with toothpaste
The addition of baking soda to toothpaste (that already contains fluoride) works more efficiently.
- Take 1 tablespoon of toothpaste with a ½ tablespoon baking soda.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Use this paste to brush your teeth twice a week.
Method 4-Baking soda with coconut oil
Coconut oil is well known for its teeth whitening procedures as it contains lauric acid that works efficiently in combination with baking soda.
- Add a few drops of coconut oil with baking soda.
- Brush your teeth with this paste.
2. Teeth whitening using Lemon peel
Lemon peel contains a high acid concentration of citric and malic acid. Its peel, flesh, and juice, all can be used for teeth whitening procedure. Lemon has bleaching properties which means that it can be used to remove stains from the teeth.
Lemon can be used for the purpose of teeth whitening by following one of these methods:
Method 1-Directly use the lemon peel
- Squeeze a lemon (you can store the remaining lemon juice in a little bottle for further use).
- Take its peel and rub it on your teeth for 2-3 minutes.
- This is followed by rinsing the oral cavity thoroughly with water.
Method 2-Lemon juice with baking soda
- Take a half tablespoon of baking soda in a bowl.
- Add 4 to 5 drops of lemon juice to make a paste.
- Use this paste with a brush on your teeth for a few minutes.
- Repeat this process twice a week for a few months continually.
Method 3-Lemon juice with table salt
- Add few drops of lemon juice to table salt.
- Mix the ingredients well to make a paste.
- Use this paste to brush your teeth thoroughly.
3. Salt for teeth whitening
Salt is antibacterial and has a variety of benefits for teeth and gums. Salt’s inadequate concentration stimulates saliva production and strengthens the enamel. It promotes strong gums, enamel and remineralization of teeth.
Method 1-Directly use salt with the help of a toothbrush over teeth
- Gently rub the brush over your teeth for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Salt is totally a natural agent without high acid values, therefore, repeat this process thrice a week.
Method 2-Salt with water
- Boil a cup of water with a pinch of salt.
- Let it cool to lukewarm.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash & for gargles too.
4. Teeth whitening using hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is an essential ingredient of teeth whitening products that are commonly used due to its low cost and easy availability from drug stores. Concentrated hydrogen peroxide is not beneficial for this process, therefore, it is recommended to use a dilution of hydrogen peroxide of 3 to 10%. It can be used in the following ways:
Method 1-Hydrogen peroxide as a rinse
- Dilute hydrogen peroxide with an equal quantity of water.
- Use this solution to rinse your mouth by swishing it around the mouth for about 1 minute.
Caution: Don’t try to swallow this mixture and spit out immediately if it causes any inflammation.
Method 2-Hydrogen peroxide with baking soda
- Add baking soda to hydrogen peroxide.
- Mix the ingredients well to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your teeth with the help of a toothbrush and rotate in a circular manner for 2 minutes.
5. Teeth whitening with Oil pulling
Oil pulling is basically referred to as a procedure in which essential oils are used for maintaining oral hygiene. It is a folk remedy that still doesn’t have any scientific evidence. In this process, essential oil or extra virgin coconut oil is used. It helps to remove the biofilm of bacteria that constitute plaque. Furthermore, it reduces the risk of cavities and gum inflammation. This process is quite simple.
- Take ½ tablespoon of oil in mouth.
- Swish it around for 15- 20 minutes, then spit it out.
6. Ginger and salt for teeth whitening
Ginger and salt both are important ingredients commonly used in cooking purposes. Ginger serves as a flavoring agent too. It possesses vitamin c that can be used by applying it directly to teeth. Ginger also possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties that can give benefits in terms of poor oral hygiene. The use of ginger and salt for teeth whitening is so common and widely adopted by people for its astonishing benefits.
- Grate a piece of ginger into fine fragments, press it with the help of a spoon so it will release its juice.
- Add a spoon of salt.
- Mix it well.
- Add some toothpaste with a few drops of lemon.
- Mix it well to form a homogenous paste.
- Apply this paste on teeth by help pf toothpaste.
- Repeat this procedure 3 times in a week for excellent results.
Tips to avoid teeth discoloration
Precaution is always better than cure. Teeth yellowing takes a long time to recover completely. In most of the cases, your teeth don’t turn completely into bright white color but become lighter to acceptable limits. It will be a good strategy to take care of your teeth by following some simple tips mentioned here:
- Maintain good oral hygiene by following a strict plan that must include brushing of teeth before going to bed.
- Make a habit of brushing teeth after eating or drinking such food products that may leave a stain on teeth like coffee, dark chocolate, etc.
- Change your toothbrush after 2 to 3 months and don’t wait for its complete destruction to buy a new one.
- Try to brush after consuming even a small quantity of sweet or bakery products.
- Use medicated toothpaste & mouthwash if you already face any type of dental problem like tooth sensitivity, bleeding from gums, etc.
- Add more calcium in your diet by drinking milk or taking calcium rich foods. An alternative method of calcium intake is the use of dietary supplements or multivitamins.
- Use disposable straws for drinking liquids or juices with dark green, red, or purple color. Sip staining of dark-colored drinks by straws will help to minimize the staining of teeth.
When to see a dentist?
When natural home remedies don’t work after continuously been trying for 3 to 4 months, then you must consult a dentist before it’s too late. Don’t forget to tell your dentist about the natural remedies you tries and got no effective results. The dentist will guide you further alternative treatments for teeth whitening.
Before you leave!
This article covers almost all the home remedies to brighten your teeth using natural agents like ginger, salt, and lemon. It is important to note that teeth whitening procedures using natural ingredients need patience and continuity to show effective results as no natural ingredient can give you instant whitening results. It is also important to note that sometimes these natural home remedies don’t give you bright white color but at least lighten the yellowing of your teeth to some extent. So you can try these remedies by following the above-mentioned methods to get a better sight of tooth color and enhance your smile with white teeth.
A student of Pharm D from University of Karachi. She has keen interest in all the attributes towards pharmacy especially community pharmacy and hospital pharmacy with an objective to make medications sound and safe. She loves to provide information about Pharmaceutical Analysis and Pharmacology in a best way so people with no medical background can understand.