A Keto diet or ketogenic diet is designed to achieve some health benefits associated with the food items by taking them at the appropriate time with appropriate combination and concentration. Here is a detailed article in which complete guidance is summarized about the keto diet.
Introduction to keto diet
The ketogenic diet or shortly known as the keto diet is high fat and low carbohydrate ( low carb) diet. It is similar to that of the Atkin & low carb diet. The human diet majorly consists of carbohydrates. proteins and fats. Disbalance between these constituents of diet may lead to obesity but if this balance is maintained the same diet will give you most surprising health benefitsTherefore keto diet is an advanced strategy or diet plan that aims to provide your body a balance proper balance between nutrients. So the body will either not in a state of starving or face obesity.
Data and research over 20 studies show that this type of diet plan helps a lot in reducing weight and to maintain a fit & healthy life.
Keto diet’s strategy in losing weight
It involves the reduced intake of carbohydrates rich food & replaces it with fat. when this occurs, the body increases its efficiency to burn fat for & calories for the production of energy. This energy is utilized by the brain and body for carrying its specific functions.
Why the ketogenic diet is termed “keto”?
It’s named so because that low carbohydrate intake makes the body to achieve a metabolic state called ketosis. secondly, a high intake of fat when burn, then it converts into ketones in the liver that supply energy to the brain. therefore the Keto diet is the most suitable term for such type of diet plans.
Types of ketogenic diet
There are different types of keto diets with several variations. These are:
- Standard ketogenic diet: This diet contains very low carbs, moderate proteins, and high-fats. The percentage of fats, proteins, and carbs appears to be 75%, 20%, and 5% respectively.
- High protein ketogenic diet: It is the same as the standard ketogenic diet, having a difference that contains more protein content. So ratio becomes 60% of carbs, 35% protein and 5% fat content
- Cyclical ketogenic diet: It includes the cycle of high carbs intake after a regular interval of time for example 5 days of low carbs ketogenic diet followed by 2 days of high carbs diet and in this way, the cycle continues.
- Targeted ketogenic diet: This diet allows to add some amount of carbs at the workplace or during more physical activity or around workout.
The ketogenic diet for losing weight
The ketogenic diet is an effective way to control your weight within a certain limit. The reason is that you are inhibiting the intake of calories by a low carb diet. The body will generate its own energy by burning fat. Keto diet is preferred over low-fat diet plans. It doesn’t make your body starve for food or let you overeat. This perfect balance which is maintained by a keto diet shows many beneficial effects for the body.
Keto diet for diabetes
Keto diet works very well for diabetic and prediabetic patients. As it lowers the intake of carbohydrates like sugar which is one of the causes of diabetes. Keto diet enables you to lose the excess fat that may lead to type 2 diabetes and prediabetes. Furthermore, the keto diet can increase insulin sensitivity which seems to very beneficial for diabetic patients.
More Health benefits from a keto diet
- Alzheimer’s disease: Keto diet is suggested to lower the progression of the disease and reduce the symptoms
- Brain injury: Study on animal reveals that keto diet help in aid and recovery after brain injuries
- Epilepsy: Sources revealed that the keto diet reduces the incidence of seizures in epileptic children
- Parkinson’s disease: Sources revealed that it helps to improve symptoms of Parkinson’s disease. However, it cannot prevent its occurrence & incident.
- Cancer: It is reported bu study that it slows down the growth of the tumor and used in several types of cancer.
- Heart disease: Keto diet decreases the risk of heart disease by improving blood pressure, blood sugar, body fat and cholesterol levels of the body.
- Acne: It improves acne indirectly by lowering insulin and sugar levels.
Snacks are that extra small episode of meals that are required at workout or during any tiring physical or mental activity. The following snacks are recommended to be the most appropriate intake while following keto snacks.
- Fatty meat
- Cheese with olives
- Boil eggs
- Dark chocolate keto
- Milkshake with low carb content
- Full fat yogurt
- Strawberries with cream
Low carbs food for Keto Diet
Here is a list of about 40+ food items with the minimum carb content that are summarized in the table below:
|Nuts and Beans||Almonds||22%|
|Fats and oil||Butter||0%|
|Extra virgin olive oil||0%|
|Carbonated water/club soda||0%|
|Spices and condiments||Salt||0%|
Foods not to eat
- Food with high carb content should be avoided like
- sugary fruits like cake, ice cream, etc
- Bean & legumes like kidney beans, peas, etc
- Grains & starch like rice, pasta, cereal, etc
- Vegetables like sweet potatoes, Potatoes, carrots, etc
- Mayonnaise, sauce or other unhealthy fat
- Processed foods
What does ketologic mean?
Ketologic term is used to describe a diverse range of resources for a ketogenic diet. It is designed with the objective of enabling people to hit ketosis more efficiently. In order to keep you in ketosis, they design and manufacture supplements, and shakes for replacing a meal. Ketologic is similar to the ketogenic diet with the difference that ketologic are synthetic products & designed for with the calculated amounts of carbs, proteins & fat. While the ketogenic diet usually involves natural food items as a source of ketones.
Some of the examples of ketologic quoted by ketologic reviews 2020 are mentioned below:
- Ketlogoic BHP
- Ketologic Male replacement supplement
- Coffee Creamer
- Grass-fed collagen
Approved science keto
Approved science keto is a form on dietary supplements in capsules dosage to refill missing electrolytes due to a low carb diet such as keto. It is designed with 4 natural exogenous salts to put the body in ketosis. These salts are derived from beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB) along with sodium, calcium, magnesium & phosphorus.
Approved science keto is not for everyone. Nursing mothers or pregnant women and children below 18 years of age should consult their pharmacist or physician before intake of any such dietary supplement. As approved science keto is not approved by food and drug authority and cannot use for curing and treating any disease.
Keto food pyramid
Food pyramids are a simple representation of food in a triangular diagrammatic manner. Food pyramids related to a ketogenic diet is termed as food keto pyramids. But it is totally different than that of traditional food pyramids that were taught at the beginner schooling level.
Keto food pyramids represent the content of keto diet i.e fat, protein, and carbs. At the base, it shows fat content followed by protein content at the upper level and then carb content at the topmost level. The widest space in the Keto food pyramid is occupied by a fatty diet and less space is occupied by carb with protein in the middle. This indicates the limited intake of carb with an increased fatty diet.
Side effects associated with Keto Diet
Change in the diet plan might show some disturbance in your body at the initial level. These side-effects are not so serious and can easily be overcome with the passage of time.
The most common side-effect is keto flu associated with low energy, increased hunger, decrease in working efficiency either physically or mentally. It can easily be minimized by following low carb diets for the first 2–3 weeks. This makes your body used to burning fats slowly & gradually.
Keto after 50:
Is keto diet safe after 50?
50 years of age demand too much consideration in terms of diets, health, and body fitness. People usually hesitate in following any new trend or diet plan due to the older age when almost body efficiency and metabolism become a little bit slow. Body metabolism reduces more than 30% until the age of 50. A ketogenic diet has not shown any harmful effects in elderly people, however, keto after 50 years of age should be coupled with more protein to help the old people in maintaining their muscle mass.
Keto diet prevents and minimizes the risk of many common diseases in elderly people that are linked with high intake of carbs such as:
- Joint pain
- Insulin resistance
Keto also induced Autophagy in adults which is a body cleaning mechanism by engulfing and destroying abnormal cells. Autophagy is a body’s natural process that is reduced with age. Keto diet thereby decreases the risk of cancer & many neurodegenerative diseases in people after 50 years of age by increasing autophagy.
Here are various conflicting points that may puzzle the mind of the reader regarding keto diet. I’ll help you clear your confusion with facts, logics, and science.
Is mayonnaise good for keto?
Mayonnaise has approved to have little or no carbs. Carbs in mayonnaise are negligible. Mayonnaise is a fat-rich food but it depends that whether this fat is healthy or not. Mayonnaise derived from canola and olive oil are considered as healthier mayonnaise, therefore, that are mostly preferred.
Is onion keto-friendly?
This is somewhat difficult to explain. As onions contain high carb and therefore should not be used as keto. But the point is that onions are the part of our food as a major flavoring agent. You can use a small quantity of onion to give flavor to keto-based dished 1/2 cup of onion per serving has 2.68 net carbs which are complete. Moreover, it is also important to remember that there are different varieties of onions too:
- Sweet onions
- Yellow onions
- White onions
- Spring onions
Spring onions o green onions are reported to be more friendly with higher fiber content, therefore onions can be used as keto with appropriate concentration and diet adjustments.
Is tofu keto friendly?
Tofu is less ideal for keto. Tofu has a high content of protein and fats % and fewer carbs, therefore, it can be used as keto for low carb vegetarian diet. It is safe to take tofu as keto but it has some hormonal effects, therefore, women with estrogen-sensitive breast tumors are recommended to lower their tofu intake.
Yogurt as keto
Yogurt is also mostly questioned to take it as keto or not. No doubt that yogurt is fat-rich food, a good source of protein and a good choice for keto but still there are several other types of yogurt that differ from each other bases on fat and carbs content.
- Greek yogurt: As compared to normal yogurt, Greek yogurt is strained 3 times so they (liquid remaining in milk) is removed along with bacteria and lactose (carbs). Greek yogurt is more concentrated. While taking Greek yogurt as keto it should be kept natural and plain without adding any sweetening agent.
- Oikos yogurt: It has no fat with a fewer carbs content. It contains an appreciable amount of protein. One yogurt cup contains 15 gm of protein. Their flavors are without sugar and sweetened with stevia.
Cheese carbs keto
Cheese has almost seemed surprised to be added as keto but it is the fact that that doesn’t have any appreciable carbs content. In previous ages, cheese is banned for a diet plan but it sets as bast for low carb keto with fat full food items.
Before you leave!
Keto diet is well structured to maintain a balance between nutrient and weight control strategy. It is safe for all age groups and genders and can easily be followed by a common man. However, individuals with a chronic disease like cancer should consult with their physician and pharmacists for appropriate guidance.