This plant belongs to the family of LAMIACEAE, having a biological name MENTHA. Mint is used traditionally for a very long time.
Mint is known for its never-ending freshness and magical benefits. A long time ago, Romans and Ancient Greeks used mint to clean their houses and tables. Some Ancient people used mint for cleaning their floors so they could give fragrance.
People in old times used mint as a medicinal herb and prepared medicines with it.
Mint is used as a symbol of wisdom and hospitality. The smell of mint freshens the soul. Mint is a magical herb known for many benefits and faster effects. These small leaves are full of nutrients and active agents.
There are many species of mint but some are commonly grown and known all over the year in every season. Mint has its subsets:
Peppermint is strong as compared to spearmint and used excessively as mint in the United States, and spearmint is mild and classically used by Europeans. Spearmint is used for beverages and cooking purposes while peppermint is either refined in peppermint oil or further in menthol.
Previously, mint has been known and used for its healing properties as a healing herb.
How can Mint be used?
Mint is known from the past till now and is being used in every house even in food.
Mint contains higher sources of antimicrobial, antifungal, and antioxidants as well as salicylic acid.
- Broadly, all over the world, mint is used for its cooling and refreshing properties and could be eaten raw. Mint has all the agents for cooling the inner body, especially refreshing soul and cool down your stomach.
- In middle eastern dishes, mint is widely used for flavor and smell. To add taste in cuisines, people use mint.
- Mint is widely used to detoxify the body and remove toxins that could harm.
- It is used for digestion purposes as well, it cools the heat in the stomach and helps in proper digestion, and burning.
- Mint is also used for bad mouth smell. People chew for keeping teeth fresh and remove the smell. It also kills the mouth bacteria.
- Mint is used in many kinds of medicines which are used for multiple purposes.
- It is used in preparing tea which gives aroma and freshness to the body as well as our systems.
- Mint is widely used in salads for refreshment and dressing.
- Mint, because of its soul-refreshing smell used for nervousness and anxiety. By inhaling its aroma it calms our mind and gives good vibes.
- It is widely used in making medicines for skin health and helps you in getting clear skin and preventing different skin issues.
- Mint and menthol are widely used in many shampoos, conditioners, lotions, powders, and cleansers because of their antibacterial properties.
- Mint is used in various insecticidal sprays and often used to prevent mice.
Dishes in which mint is used
Mint is widely used for medicinal and for cooking purposes. For cooking, spearmint is most often used but of its mild and cooling flavor, while others are a bit strong and bitter. Peppermint is used in making oil and capsules.
Numerous types of dishes in which mint can be used are:
- Salad dressing
- Different types of chutney
- Yogurt and yogurt dressing
- It is used for flavor and aroma in the dressing of biryani
- It is mostly used with mutton and lamb
- Mint is kept with fruits and vegetables to keep them fresh and safe from bacteria
In Arabic culture, mint tea is used as a tradition and enjoyed by and offered to their guests. Peppermint is used in desserts and icing puddings and cakes.
Mint is used in making toothpaste, chewing gum and many liquors to add flavor in them.
Mint can be used in various forms like:
- Mint tea
- Mint water
- Mint oil
- Mint liquors ( mint juices, mint margarita, etc)
- Mint seasoning.
Health benefits of mint
Mint is known for its benefits medically and generally. Let’s take a look at its benefits.
Especially mint is known for its freshness. It’s very helpful in coping up with various problems like
- Irritable bowel syndrome ( IBS ).
- Upset stomach
- Digestive tract issues
- Stomach burning
- Improper digestion
Mint keeps many respiratory disorders away like:
- Inflammation in respiratory tract lining
- Lung infections
Other benefits of mint are:
- It protects the person from different kinds of allergies and seasonal allergies.
- Mint gives good odor and health to oral hygiene.
- By chewing mint leaves or mint related tablets, it refreshes our breath.
- Mint contains salicylic acid and antioxidants and antimicrobial properties which prevents multiple skin problems like acne, scars, and broken skin.
- Mint herb is used for healing and curing wounds and cuts.
- It heals sunburn too.
- Menthol or mint prevents hair loss and helps increase hair growth and reduces scalp problems like oily and itchy scalp, dandruff, irritation, etc.
- Mint brightens the complexion and make skin clear and keeps it hydrated.
- Mint slows the aging process and keeps it wrinkle and line process. It also diminishes dark circles.
- Mint soothes mosquito bite and reduces irritation.
- Mints aids in weight loss which means it helps in breaking down fat accumulation.
- Mint helps to improve liver functions and strengthens it.
- Because of its refreshing property, it prevents memory loss and helps in improving brain function.
- Mint helps to relax and overcome fatigue, depression, nervousness, and anxiety which gives a peaceful mind by increasing serotonin levels.
- Its is one of good practice for colic spasm.
- Mint gives us relief from nausea and headache.
- It helps in treating cough, cold, fever, and pain.
- Mint also helps in preventing prostate cancer and atherosclerosis.
- It decreases pain while breastfeeding.
- Mint helps in improving muscle spasm and nerve pains.
- As per its agents, mint is a natural blood purifier and helps in the good function of the body.
- Menthol helps in good blood flow by widening the vessels.
- It prevents morning sickness.
- Mint is helpful in painful menstrual cramps and helps to relieve it.
- Mints inhibit the bacterial growth in intestines and keep it healthy and fresh.
How mint is stored?
Mint is stored either in dried form or fresh. You can even freeze it for later use. But it should be kept in a sealed jar or container. It should be stored in a cool place where there is no sunlight, else it will rot.
How to get mint?
Mint is available in all markets or vegetable stores. It is now a basic need for people as it is very useful to keep at home and gives lots of benefits.
If you want a fresh mint plant, you can even grow it at your home because it can grow anywhere.
Implant a cutting of either dry or fresh mint and it leave in a pot or container. Water it regularly and give light but keep it in a shade.
Can mint be dangerous?
Anything thing taken in excessive amounts could be harmful. Mint taken excessively can give adverse effects. Mint in the form of peppermint can be harmful, it can cause dry mouth,, nausea, or even vomiting. Peppermint oil can also be toxic if used in high amounts because as told above it is strong and aggressive.
People with GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) are recommended not to use it. High amounts of mint can even affect male fertility.
Plant a mint tree, and get unlimited fresh mint leaves anytime because it is better to have raw mint than processed. And instead of chewing tablets or supplements, mint leaves should be chewed. Just wash and clean them properly and enjoy it!
Before you leave!
Mint is a blessing that couldn’t be ignored. It has numerous benefits and is easily available. It can even be grown at home. Excess of anything is harmful, so try not to take it excessively.